getting a neoprene sleeve onto a hydration tube

marylou

Trying to get a neoprene sleeve onto the tube of my hydration sytem with zero success. I've tried putting baby powder on the tube, no luck with that.

Anyone know the best way to accomplish this? I'm headed to colder climes tomorrow and would like to be able to use the hydration system without the dang tube freezing up.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken...seems to me that getting everything wet, to lubricate things, will help. Helps to feed the cover a little bit, then pull the cover. Repeat. Should be able to get longer and longer cover sections fed as you do it, and you'll be done in a few minutes.

I remember trying it dry, and I got sooo frustrated. Let me know if this doesn't work for ya.

If I'm not mistaken...seems to me that getting everything wet, to lubricate things, will help. Helps to feed the cover a little bit, then pull the cover. Repeat. Should be able to get longer and longer cover sections fed as you do it, and you'll be done in a few minutes.

I remember trying it dry, and I got sooo frustrated. Let me know if this doesn't work for ya.

I found an older hydration setup in my freezer with a smaller diameter hose, got the whole thing wet in the sink, and a thrash and a half later, the sleeve is on there. I don't think I'll ever take it off of there now....

The other option is not to buy those silly neoprene tube and just blow the water back into the bladder after taking a drink. Cost less and no freaking around.

Yes, but doesn't work 100%. I have had it freezing up because of some remaining water in the hose (collected at the lowest point and froze to a solid plug). I haven't tried an insulating sleeve - I just don't just the thing when it's really cold...

I know you've resolved it, but I had a thought for you physics people out there. Couldn’t you freeze the hose, thereby shrinking it slightly, then push it through?

Personally, it only took a few times of dealing with frozen hose before I went back to drinking BPA's from my Nalgene.

I cut the sleeve on mine, and then taped it back up. Mouth piece still freezes however. Try using a hottie hand warmer. Wrap hottie in a old wool sock and don't put it in the hydration sleeve (you don't want to melt the bladder), put it the pack. I used this in single digit temps last year in Montana, works well if you take a drink every 15 minutes or so.

I find that the neoprene sleeves dont work anyway, unless you plan to spend a brief amount of time out in sub 0 weather, like going for a short run or the likes. Unless you're packing your bladder in a large pack, sometimes a smaller tech pack can fit somewhat comfortably under your parka.

Not sure if this would work for a neoprene sleeve on a rubber hose, but plain rubbing alcohol eases getting rubber handlebar grips onto metal bike handlebars. It makes a slick film but then evaporates so doesn't leave any weird residue.