[TR] Life's a Beach - Gorge Ice 12/20/2008

Blake

Trip: Life's a Beach - Gorge Ice

Date: 12/20/2008

Trip Report:

I went out to the Gorge with Tim Holscher this week, we ended up making three trips, each was fun and certainly no day was like the other two.

IMG_2894.jpg

Tim thinks the best ice climbing in Oregon is in Washington.

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

Flows off the beach are all pretty continuous for 75-80m.

Tim led the harder pitch, and took the better pictures. Come to think of it, he brought the hot coffee too. hmmm... not so sure what I contributed to this. :grin:

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3021.JPG

Edited by Blake

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice TR Blake! It was a pleasure to get out on the ice with you. Thanks Nate for hooking us up.

Does anyone know any history on the lower and middle tier climbs at Cape Horn? Martin & Krawarik state that no complete ascents have been recorded on the lowest tier. Olsen's book says, little is know of ascents here. I find that hard to believe since the routes are striking, highly visible from the Oregon side, and easy to access. We climbed the first line of several you come to (east end). From there we bushwhacked a bit until finding a nice trail that led to 2 more middle tier falls. We climbed the left one in two pitches on Fri and then returned Sat to TR the right one.

Hope to hear of others experience on these climbs. With this extended cold snap they should be around a little longer.