[TR] columbia river gorge - any 12/14/2008

Lucky Larry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cold and windy today but roads in good shape on the oregon side

this was the first time its froze up since i've had kids that i could even wander into the gorge to look for adventure

here's crown jewel - i assume there's a way across the water in front of me? there's a road over there but how do you get there? :grin:

14December2008_004.jpg

ivan, looks like its flowing pretty good but its hard to tell in that pic. you think its set up yet?

hamilton looks awesome! and scary as shit.

no, not yet

chad and pete think 1-2 more days over in the other thread - sounds good to me - i know practically dick about ice-cragging :)

About 1 mile West of the exit for Roster Rock State park there is a small pull-out on you right. Park here. Wall South 100 yards and pick-up RR track/road. Walk .5 mile East along track/road to base of climb. Take note, parking here is illegal as is hiking along the tracks. The safer bet would be to park at Roaster Rock and back-track 1 mile East along the freeway to join up with the above beta. The descent is grim, I'd park a car at the summit or hitch-hike back down to your parked car.

-Nate

So what do you guys see out there. Should I take tomorrow off. Who can go tomorrow. my cell 503-464-6548

naw ben, i think our plan is still the earliest good one - course, the impending precip on wendsday will no doubt fuck w/ the roads, but hopefully not too bad? as long as i can sit in the back and suck down 40s and not have to worry 'bout the crux driving though i'm happy :grin:

Hard to judge the scale of the ice on Hamilton from here at my house but I bet they are much bigger than they seem from the pics. I've only seen really good ice flows up there a few times in the 3 years I've lived at this house. It would be cool to watch someone send that bee-otch from here with the binocs though. You used to be able to drive right up to the base of the cliffs via the old logging roads but the last few times I've tried, the gate was locked shut at the bottom here in North Bonneville. I might see if it still locked and maybe wander up a bit closer for a better glimpse if I have some time tomorrow.