AT ski question

astrov

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the wax is a hot wax (having to use an iron) then as long as you get all of the residue off, there is no issue with the skins and wax; just don't skimp on the scraping. I only use the iron on kind of wax, never the quick stuff, because while you are waxing your skis at the top, I am stealing the freshies :grin:

Hot wax absorbs into the bases of the skis better than rub on and will then last longer in the base of the ski. As Maine-iac said you should scrap and then I would recommend using a stiff nylon or soft Copper wax brush to remove wax residue from the base to not transfer it onto the skin's glue. You will get better glide and pick up less dirt, pine pitch, etc..

Most of the rub on waxes are fine as long as you rub in well as most don't last very long on the base of the skis in average to abrasive snow conditions. Especially good are any of the liquid products.

After seeing Lowell Skoog's presentation of an early film of Otto Lang sticking his skins to his skis with Klisterwax, I tried that method, and was gratified to find how well it works. I don't use glue on my skins anymore... just a relatively soft wax before I start uphill, the skins seem to adhere to that just fine, with no glue. If I guess just right, (occasionally do), I can just peel the skins at the top and make my run down with no other prep...

After seeing Lowell Skoog's presentation of an early film of Otto Lang sticking his skins to his skis with Klisterwax, I tried that method, and was gratified to find how well it works. I don't use glue on my skins anymore... just a relatively soft wax before I start uphill, the skins seem to adhere to that just fine, with no glue. If I guess just right, (occasionally do), I can just peel the skins at the top and make my run down with no other prep...

Don't you find that Klister is just an absolute fooking mess to deal with?

I have used that stuff on my waxless BC skis, but would never dream of using it with my skins. I would have to scrape that stuff off before the decent. Is there something I might be missing regarding Klister vs. skin glue? I would imagine that the klister just would make a gooey mess on your skins. Not to mention leaving alot of residue on a hot waxed p-tex base.

Tell all, please. :confused:

Are you talking XC wax or downhill wax?

Telemarktips has a good article about using grip/kick(?) wax for touring.

http://telemarktips.com/Wax.html

Nah, he is talking about this nasty shit called "klister"...

It comes in a tube, and you dollop it onto XC skis and the smear it around similar to kick wax, except this stuff has the consistency of honey, and twice as sticky. Usually it gets all over your gloves, gear, and makes a terrible mess. It works well, once you clean all your shit up after wards. You do have to scrape it off before you go back down hill, which is another mess in itself as well.

The XC world has pretty much replaced this stuff with scales,Regular kick wax etc. and as far as AT/Tele/Splitboards are concerned, skins.