Synth coat

mike1

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both the micro puff and the das. the micro goes everywhere while the das hasn't left the closet. (I am a closet gear whore) The point is, I like and use the micro a lot and worth looking at. You have to ask yourself what conditions do you really want to be and expect to be out in if you are looking at jackets. I wanted to be hardcore and need the das but alas, I am a wanker and do fine with the micropuff.

Do the micro puff and the DAS size the or did you buy different sizing? Looks like a good deal on the DAS buy never like buying anything that I haven't tried on. I do have the micro puff and I have to admit that I have rarely wanted any more warmth just as you suggested...

Edited by Matt Kidd

According to Patagucci and from others I have heard, is that the DAS is intended to be a belay parka. One that you pull over all your other layers when you have to stop, belay, or some use it as part of a bivy system with a half bag.

I don't own one, I just thought that it seemed like a good buy. I also noticed that on the patagucci site they had some micropuff on clearance as well, but the sizes where more restricted. Oh and yeah, I think that all this "green" patagucci stuff is actually military surplus.

I have both the micro puff and the das. the micro goes everywhere while the das hasn't left the closet. (I am a closet gear whore) The point is, I like and use the micro a lot and worth looking at. You have to ask yourself what conditions do you really want to be and expect to be out in if you are looking at jackets. I wanted to be hardcore and need the das but alas, I am a wanker and do fine with the micropuff.

Same here, the Micropuff is my go to jacket.

think I'll head to Patagonia and try that green thing on...

just make sure that you get it from the web site, or you will pay retail. But, hey, that's what is nice that there is a patagucci outlet in PDX...

I called to make sure they had one in stock and asked about the sale price. They confirmed what you said. I tried on the Green thing and it was a bit more than I was looking for. Awesome deal, but I wanted something lighter and more compressable... I ended up heading up a few blocks to REI to see what they had since I was in town. I picked up the Mountain Hardwear Compressor for 20% off. It doesn't look like something I'd want to go sliding across a granite face in, but at least I can take it back if I find a better deal. REI's saving grace...

Thanks everyone!

I have a Cocoon Pro 60 parka from BPL. It is an excellent piece of gear. It's a bit warmer than it looks, I use it alone as my belay parka most of the year here in WA and I layer it over a puffy vest in the winter. The hood works well with a helmet and it will fit over my other layers with no problem. The outer shell is quite water-resistant. It plus my Patagonia vest weigh less than most other coats this warm. It's probably similar in warmth to the Patagonia micro-puff. I highly reccomend it.

Mountain Hardwear hooded compressor jacket - I really like this one. I can stuff it into a 1 liter stuff sack and it's super light. I wear it as a belay parka at temperatures 20+ and I use it as my insulation layer at temperatures below 20. Really nice and versitale. The only drawback is the fabric is pretty thin so you don't want to be climbing in chimneys in this.

For my lite synthetic jacket is use http://www.rei.com/product/753467 and it rocks.... got it for 30 bucks in the REI basement :)

My heavier synthetic is The Belay jacket found here http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_insulation.php

it also rocks...

If I were to get a top of the line synthetic hoodie id probably go with the Wild Things EP Hooded jacket. If it is made anything like my belay jacket it will be good stuff.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...