[TR] goose egg mountain - ride the lightning 12/6/2008

Trip: goose egg mountain - ride the lightning

Date: 12/6/2008

Trip Report:

I have had this minor obsession with Goose Egg Mountain for quite a while. As we reached the beginning of the climb, the sun beating down on our backs, I thought to myself, "Who knew I would be sweating, stripping down layers, and ROCK CLIMBING in December!"

Its a beautiful thing dragging your summer rock climbing straight into December.

As we looked up at the first pitch I wondered what my partner Salz was thinking about the rock quality.

"The rock is not as bad as it looks!" I say to Salz, "Think of it as adventure climbing!"

After hearing Salz bitching about "Choss-pile mountain" half way up the first pitch, I realized maybe I was wrong.

"Just because you knock on the hold and it sounds hollow does not mean its loose!" I yell from below, "Just wiggle it! If it doesn't move, is solid!"

That is as best as I can describe the quality of the rock. We sent nothing down bigger than a pebble the whole route up. (rappelling was a different story).

The route itself is a mixed bag. Pitch one is a fairly long and exhilarating slab pitch. The second pitch is golden and the best of the route. A perfect crack.

http://pics.ericlondon.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10010&pos=1

Pitch three and four are kind of crappy and can be run together (recommended). Pitch 5 is the crux with a slightly overhanging entrance to a hand-to-off width crack and quite enjoyable.

http://pics.ericlondon.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10010&pos=0

The crack ends too soon and is replaced by some fun face climbing. Pitch six is a f@$*ing mess. Not only is it easy to get lost (which I did), but EVERYTHING was loose. 4th class to the top.

The rappel was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just be careful with your rope pulls, loose rock and rope snaggage.

All and all it was fun. Adventure climbing is what it is, semi-sketchy and fun!

I will definitely be back for more Choss this winter!

Gear Notes:

Singles to #4, stoppers, & hexes

Set of Double 60mm ropes make the descent easy

Approach Notes:

5 minutes up a trail

Edited by mountainsloth

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic