[TR] buck mountain - firs: buckshot (an easy way up the north side) 12/4/2008

rat

Trip: buck mountain - firs: buckshot (an easy way up the north side)

Date: 12/3-5/2008

Trip Report:

first internet recorded spray (attempt at hype deflation):

on 12/4, cappellini and i climbed the line marked in red on the accompanying photo (photo used with permission of john scurlock: http://www.pbase.com/nolock/mountains ). we found conditions thinner than shown on john's photo from 12/7/05. we pitched out the first 4 ropelengths (wi3, wi4, wi4+, wi3). 3 simul-climbing blocks followed (quite a few wi2/3 sections separated by snow slopes). late in the day we were at the head of the main gully below some overhangs (the uppermost point of the blue line in the photo). overcome with a recurrence of alpine chicken syndrome, we downclimbed a couple hundred feet and simul-zigged right up steep sugar snow and neve to a belay. a zag left for 2 pitches (a bit of m4/5?)in the dark led to the ridge. dan was unwilling to slog up to the summit so we descended the west slopes and back to the tent on the moraine.

in retrospect, we should have finished up the a ramp system roughly marked by the green line (more sustained and aesthetic) and slogged to the summit.

to my knowledge the only photos dan took were during the hike out.

as wayne noted, there are other lines to be climbed here. a line of smears directly up the north face would be a fantastic addition. ice forms early and those willing to play roulette with the road condition will be rewarded. watch for cornices (very small this year compared to previous years that i have seen it) and wind deposition.

scurlock_s_buck_12_07_05_annotated_with_12_04_08_route.JPG

buckshot: iv, wi4+ plus a little bit of m4/5(?)

Gear Notes:

screws, rack to 2.5" plus kb's/la's

Approach Notes:

call the usfs wenatchee river ranger station at 548-6977 to make sure all gates are open on the chiwawa river road. 4wd and/or chains highly recommended.

Edited by rat

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

outstanding - you understate an true epic.

homage paid to dberdinka & JR who sent me over there way back when, as well as to the other well-known badasses who have sieged that face. I know JR is fond of that N ridge but the face to me is the real deal on that mt.

I have looked very closely at that top part, your blue/green, & wondered about the difficulties there, since that seems to be the most indistinct part of your line. definitely, above your blue, I wondered what the hell would happen next.

I know you guys dont roll this way, but sorry if I stole any thunder on this one. I do get excited when I see something that looks so fun. It is interesting to have it a bit scary too, and I would consider myself very fortunate to catch ideal conditions on it. What a place we live in! There a only a few places in NA that can offer faces like that!Almost none to our south.

Again, Great job and ,again, sorry, I accept my role as the class blabbermouth. I just hope it is never too annoying.

:edit:

In an attempt at redemption, I wanted to show a few photos from our (Rolf and I on thanks-giving weekend)attempt. It was a rain-out but I was happy to be there and honored to be asked along.

P1060886.JPG

P1060875.JPG

P1060892.JPG

P1060895.JPG

P1060908.JPG

P1060910.JPG

Edited by wayne1112

Awesome $%#*ing climb, but the fact of the matter is Rolf's TRs are always a bit less inspiring than his climbs....

So Wayne (or Rolf) do fill us in on all the epic attempts. There's got to be some good stories in there. And what's next? Heart of Darkness? The upper N Rib would be perfect for drytooling.

Nice looking climb there.

Could you guys or someone post more info on the approach to that climb? Such as, how was the road getting in there when you guys did it? How far did you guys have to walk about? How long did it take to get below the face?

I'm interested in trying your route in the next couple days if conditions stay good. I looked at a map and it looks like about a 5 mile approach from Trinity? But, I've never been in the area before.

It is about a 5 mile appr. Where the trail comes the closest to the stream is where you cross . Stay in the trees until right adjacent to the wall. Some swacking, but if you peg it it is not bad. Getting through the bottom cliff band is done just to the left of the 2 big main waterfalls, up a hidden ramp.

I would bet the road is closed though and the wall is unstable with half a foot of snow now on it. This is one of those early climbs.