For all the guitar geeks.....

kevbone

steve vai clearly has more technical brilliance in the clippings from his left pinkienail than i'll ever have in my entire life, and i agree with you that yes he is very, very good.

but i class him with that crowd of 'show-off' players who frankly aren't that musical and ultimately pretty un-interesting, like satriani or johnny a (i know, more heresy). just an opinion, and i'm only funnin' you with all the 'repent' and 'consequences' rubbish.

guys like knopfler can put on a 'technically' brilliant show (who knows or cares if he can 'keep up' with vai), and are not above the odd flourish, but ultimately it is about the entire package, the music, and the guitar is contributory, not the main point. someone like steve howe is much better as part of his musical group (though, perhaps, 'yes' should be named on the 'overrated' thread) than on his own, but he remains a technically brilliant player.

just my tuppence, don't take it too seriously. i don't. i love listening to andres segovia and even r&g.

of course we could take this to the next level, and I could make and post a video recording of me playing. then you would laugh so hard that you'd bust a gut and die a horrible death, making your wife a widow and your children orphans, and I would quite obviously win the argument. :grin:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steve vai clearly has more technical brilliance in the clippings from his left pinkienail than i'll ever have in my entire life, and i agree with you that yes he is very, very good.

but i class him with that crowd of 'show-off' players who frankly aren't that musical and ultimately pretty un-interesting, like satriani or johnny a (i know, more heresy). just an opinion, and i'm only funnin' you with all the 'repent' and 'consequences' rubbish.

guys like knopfler can put on a 'technically' brilliant show (who knows or cares if he can 'keep up' with vai), and are not above the odd flourish, but ultimately it is about the entire package, the music, and the guitar is contributory, not the main point. someone like steve howe is much better as part of his musical group (though, perhaps, 'yes' should be named on the 'overrated' thread) than on his own, but he remains a technically brilliant player.

just my tuppence, don't take it too seriously. i don't. i love listening to andres segovia and even r&g.

of course we could take this to the next level, and I could make and post a video recording of me playing. then you would laugh so hard that you'd bust a gut and die a horrible death, making your wife a widow and your children orphans, and I would quite obviously win the argument. :grin:

Steve Vai started out as back up lead guitar to Frank Zappa's band for 4 years before going solo,Zappa had 100s of band members over the years! He's on the right in background,and Zappa could get anyone he wanted to play on his albums and concert tours!

800px-Frank_Zappa.jpg

220px-SteveVai_2.jpgIMG_4321.jpg

One of my favorite guitar players.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0FlWrd6dSQ

I would love to have that guitar,seen one used down town Vancouver for $3,200,Neal Young, Steven Still played them,but Gretsch is more money then i would pay,but you can get the made in Korea for $600 also the Dot with p90s the Beattles used have a great sound! Someday!!

Thats some nice toys,but i'm still looking but hears some of my gear but not my 3 bass guitars and 2 more per lawsuit 70-73 Japan Les Pauls and 5 other amps.

I've replaced all my pick ups but the Black 1970 Japan Les Paul!

DSCF2560.JPG

I sold this Schecter C-1,my ESP sounds better!

538372.jpg

DSCF2558-1.JPG

I'm selling my 12 string 81 Ovation,just dont play it much!

DSCF2565.JPG

Edited by pc313

Cant wait til i can rip half as good but played 4hr. last night after watching the Doc. "WIRED FOR SOUND,A GUITAR ODYSSEY" i've started playing at 47yrs old so don't have the finger dexterity of a young kid for i've did a few supermans off my moutain bike and broken or dislocated 4 fingers,so it may take a few more years just to play like crap! Music is a great way to work the body and mind,its the ultrament conundrum!

Cant wait til i can rip half as good but played 4hr. last night after watching the Doc. "WIRED FOR SOUND,A GUITAR ODYSSEY" i've started playing at 47yrs old so don't have the finger dexterity of a young kid for i've did a few supermans off my moutain bike and broken or dislocated 4 fingers,so it may take a few more years just to play like crap! Music is a great way to work the body and mind,its the ultrament conundrum!

If finger dexterity is a real issue, I recommend that you consider experimenting with slide guitar.

My fingers were slow a frist and wrist hurt when playing barchords so the frist year i was stuck in open or cowboy chords,but some of the best guitarists have fucked up fingers and learned to adapt.

I'm self taught B/C lessons are $30-60 Hr. so maybe after 4yrs i'll take some Guitar or Bass Jazz or Blues classes at the local College but its just a hobby.

I have a 98 custom Bass made by "THE BASS COMPANY",it has every thing but a ejection seat button on it and is stereo!

Would love to have a lap still guitar and do have pyrex,brass,and cromed slides along with thumb and finger picks so don't use a beer bottle any more,and if i want to freak out, i'll plug in to my new MicroKORG Synthesizer/Vocoder,haven't done it yet B/C its to much fun by its self,check one out! Thanks Norm

Edited by pc313

I enjoyed that Joe Pass clip. Way more interesting than Vai or Satriani.

Wasn't a cut off wine bottle neck the first slide?

My GF teaches grade 6 and the boys are really into guitar. She has one in the class that they pick up and play whenever there's a break. I'm bringing my rig in on their last day of class for them to play around on. Should be fun.

I'd better get to practicing my hot licks. I wonder if I can learn the One intro solo by then. Apparently they're really into that song.