"Bolivia, June, 2002"

Ken_Abeldt

I'm looking for 2 or 3 climbing partners to join a non-commercial, un-guided trip to "The Andes of Bolivia". This will be a 3-week trip, I'd like to spend the 1st. 2-weeks or so attempting the following mountains: Pequeno Alpamayo (17,618ft.) in The Condoriri Group, this will be a fantastic area to acclimatize in, & also a great mountain to climb! Next, Huayna Potosi (19,974ft.), some guide books describe this as one of the easier (6,000m.) peaks, but I think this will be a good mountain to step-up the altitude a little. Finally, Illimani (21,125ft.), which dominates the views from the capital city of La Paz, & is the most sought after peak in Bolivia! All 3 of these mountains are in The Cordillera Real Range & are only 2 to 3 hrs. from La Paz. After all the torture, I'd like to spend 4 or 5 days relaxing & checking out Lake Titicaca. My plans for this area are as follows: Catch a bus (4-hrs.) to Copacabana, stay the night & enjoy this town on the southern shore of the lake. Next, hike to Yampupata (4-hrs.), then jump on a rowboat for a short ride to Isla del Sol (Island of the Sun). We'll spend 2-days exploring this wonderful little island. Then unfortunately back home & back to work. Feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions at: jandk@access995.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from Bolivia 3 days ago and your order of peaks seems appropriate, but you may be surprised at how many peaks you could bag in 3 weeks. I'd suggest going to Titicaca first for acclimatization, as it's at around 12,000 feet and the hills on Isla del Sol get up to 13,000 feet. The base camp at Condoriri is at 15,100 feet and has the best access I've ever seen. I went there for 6 days with one group of friends and climbed the Ilusioncita, the Southwest Face of Pyramida Blanca and the gully route on Cabeza del Condor. I returned with another group of friends for 6 more days and climbed the regular route on Pyramide Blanca, the ridge route on Pequenya Alpomyo, a direct ridge start on Cabeza del Condor and the South Face of Ala Izquierda. We set up a high camp the second time up La Cabeza to get Ala Izquierda the next day, but otherwise everything is a day trip from the tent. If you are in shape and acclimatized, the Condoriri area is the perfect place to be hyperactive. If you want to climb the west face of Huayna Potosi, you can easily get to it from Tuni after leaving Condoriri by a short jeep ride or a few hours with a llama team. If you have any questions about Bolivia, let me know. Good climbing.

mneagle, Thanks for the reply. Any info you could give me on hotels & what to do or see around La Paz or Lake Titicaca, would be appreciated. As far as climbing goes, I think this will be a good schedule for our first trip to Bolivia. If I enjoy the country & the whole scene. I'll be planning another trip to attempt Sajama, Pomerata, & Parinacota at a later time.