Alpinist Magazine

AlpinistAndrew

For our first anniversary, my wife decided to buy me a subscription to Alpinist. She ordered it online, but when she did their was some snafu with the process and she ended up with 5 orders billed to our account. She immediately emailed Alpinist Magazine to remedy the problem. No response. She called a few days later and who ever she talked to gave her no help. She called again and was essentially brushed off...passed on to other departments who had no idea what was going on. In the middle of this whole thing I read on cc.com that Alpinist was going out of business, I told my wife this and so she called again the next day. My wife asked for the billing dept, which Alpinist proclaimed no longer existed because they were going out of business. Finally, my wife called our credit card company who refunded out money and said that they will "deal" with Alpinist, but that if they can't get money from them, then we have to foot the bill. Bull shit. Basically I understand that Alpinist is probably in a cluster fuck of sorts right now, but that is some pretty shitty customer service, especially considering they basically stiffed us on several hundred dollars.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For our first anniversary, my wife decided to buy me a subscription to Alpinist. She ordered it online, but when she did their was some snafu with the process and she ended up with 5 orders billed to our account. She immediately emailed Alpinist Magazine to remedy the problem. No response. She called a few days later and who ever she talked to gave her no help. She called again and was essentially brushed off...passed on to other departments who had no idea what was going on. In the middle of this whole thing I read on cc.com that Alpinist was going out of business, I told my wife this and so she called again the next day. My wife asked for the billing dept, which Alpinist proclaimed no longer existed because they were going out of business. Finally, my wife called our credit card company who refunded out money and said that they will "deal" with Alpinist, but that if they can't get money from them, then we have to foot the bill. Bull shit. Basically I understand that Alpinist is probably in a cluster fuck of sorts right now, but that is some pretty shitty customer service, especially considering they basically stiffed us on several hundred dollars.
You might want to check to fine print on your credit card agreement. Usually, you are covered for any "fraudulent" charges. I'd think this is a pretty clear case of being over-billed. Threaten to take your business elsewhere if they don't see it your way. Usually works for me. Good luck!

I'd think that you shouldn't be liable for this?

---------------

Alpinist was always a lame magazine in my book. They proclaimed at the start that they'd never have ads and thus have to charge an arm and a leg. The last few issues had as many ads as a Comso and the writing wasn't that great.

Rock and Ice is churning out a pretty good product right now with seasoned staffers and great writing.

So today my wife was talking with someone who works at a publishing company in Middlebury, VT (near where we live). She (my wife) was explaining the whole snafu with Alpinist (though she hadn't mentioned the name of the magazine yet) Then this person said "Oh, it's not Alpinist that climbing magazine is it?" My wife was flabbergasted at this. This person told my wife what she had heard back in early September. Apparently Alpinist had called the publishing company in September and had told the company that issue 25 would be their last issue and they were going out of business. Here's the really good part. My wife went to buy the subscription to Alpinist in late Sept. (during which time Alpinist was offering a 30% off of SUBSCRIPTIONS) knowing full well that they were not going to produce any more. Another interesting fact is, as I mentioned in my previous post, my wife was charged for 5 subscriptions, which you would think would mean we would have received 5 copies of Alpinist 25, though we only got one, despite the fact that they said they had no record of us being charged 5. They have no problem charging us, yet we we receive the one magazine. (Not that I want fucking 5 copies)