Looking for accessible alpine ice training ground

Brewer

Hey. I know there's not much snow out there yet, but I'm planning for my winter activities (which will basically be preparing for spring/summer activities).

What I'm looking for an area to brush up on techniques (building anchors, belaying, rapping, climbing, etc). Ideal characteristics:

45-50 degree slope

No more than a mile or so from a(n open) road

Alpine ice (does this occur in the winter?)

Somewhere in the mid to north Cascades

If anyone knows some nice places that fit all or most of the criteria, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Will also post this in the Alpine Lakes forum.

Edited by Brewer

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for accessible alpine ice

If you need to brush up on elementary skills like belaying and rappelling perhaps you should spend some time on some super easy rock climbs, or at the gym, before you head into the mountains and kill yourself.

With 3200 posts and 5 TRs I would have thought that you would already realize that there are things that can't be simulated on super easy rock climbs and at the gym.

Thanks for your concern, but this thread wasn't meant as a means for people to lecture me, rather as a way of finding local and accessible playgrounds.

[i would have thought that you would already realize that there are things that can't be simulated on super easy rock climbs and at the gym.

Somewhat true, but belaying and rappelling are skills that sure can be. :grlaf:

Yeah, perhaps I over-simplified my intentions. I just want to get out there and get hands-on with whatever I can without being too deep in the backcountry. Snow/ice anchors, escaping the belay, rescue scenarios, snowpack analysis, stuff like that.

I've only lived in Washington for a couple years and last season was my first in alpinism, so I'm just trying to build a base of knowledge in addition to Freedom of the Hills and the AAI course.

Thanks.

Edited by Brewer

ministry of transportation . Road weather information system. designed to help the maintinence contractor with road conditions. i believe this particular WX stn provides subsurface temps and ambient air temps max, min, and present. I snooped around the net and could not find a way to access this without passwords unfortunatly. alot of the ministry webcams have local wx stn data associated with them such as the coquihalla cams. Enjoy

Chris...