Military Experience

Wopper

Sounds like a lot of ex and a few current Joe's out there. Out of curiosity, what is your story?

I spent four years in the 82nd Airplane Gang down at Ft. Bragg in a Recon Plt. Graduated from Ranger School Class 3-90. Got out in July, 1991 as an E-5 and utilized the GI Bill to pay for college.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Wopper,

US Army 89-96. I served in various units as an 11B/11M and as a scout in several infantry regiments.

Caveman and I served together 2 years in 1/23inf 2ID before I got plucked to go to Scout Platoon. Along with John Gaddy and Duane Forquer our first sergeant referred to us as "Wyatt Earp and the boys" because we kept the Joes and cherry officers in line.

Ranger Halling lives right up the street from me, and even showed up at my door wearing an unauthorized black Ranger sweatshirt yesterday.

Keep yer hatchet sharp!

Yeah I remember that wait for off time to climb bro. Just be like I was, climb everything you can when you get the chance until you are out of the army. wink.gif Have fun and I'll be looking for the guys sportin the High and tights and swiss seats grin.gif Is the Lycra Cave still there?

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 07-20-2001).]

A couple different units in the 70's 2\1 inf(scouts) 2/75 inf(rangers) Back when Ranger school was only 58 days ( I hear it is longer now) My Dad was a lifer 101 airborne . Biggest mistake of my life. UN..HOOOAHHH....Jump school was O.K.Went AWOL from Rangers for 2 days they have no sense of humor . Made me a regular grunt again .Guess what ..Life does not revolve around the youthful brainwashing they provide

I've been at 2/75 RGR for 2 years. Was in Ranger School classes 04,05, and 06-01, the best six months of my life. :rooleyes:

There is about four climbers who I regularly climb with in my company. Being on a two hour recall for the last few month sucked, the only place we could get out to was Fossil. But I'm FREE, now! Leavenworth here I come.

I was reading about the antics at spire rock, and those "army guys". Come on, we get only the BEST mountianeer training and equipment. There is no better (I mean faster not safer) way of rappelling then with a rope swiss sweat and snaplink ('biner) warp. Or better way to belay a lead climber than the good ol' hip belay. My personal favorite is fast roping. There is no better way of insertion, than hovering in a "shithook" 90 ft of the deck, wieghed down with 75 lbs of equipment. And sliding down a 3 in rope, with the only means of attachment(and braking) being your own gloved hands. All this while getting shot at rolleyes.gif

Just think I get paid a $1.50 an hour to do this. No one said the Army was smart.

The only bad thing is I've never aussie rappelled with my submachine gun. I guess I just haven't had to impress a General or his daughter yet.

RLTW

Mike I wore that sweatshirt just to motivate you! I guess next time I'll have to have you in the front leaning rest when I come over. Yes I was in from 91' to 97' Was at 2/75 and I Corps LRSU. When I got out I spent 1 and 1/2 drills in the Reserve. Couldn't hack it and became a quitter. Had no problem living off that G.I. Bill and College Fund money though. MtnRgr. Get good with supply and Special Skills. I know there used to be the SOFME kits that actually had good stuff like BD Camalots and the like. The Army actually buys some good stuff...but they usually horde it away somewhere where nobody sees it. The only way I found it was because my Supply Sgt. at the time actually climbed and knew what the stuff was for. Push to get yourself sent to the NG climbing school in Vermont..good stuff there. Actual climbers teaching with good gear. Oh yes the memories of the giant dog-pile at the bottom of a fast-rope. Don't know if I miss that. When you getting them fancy new tan SAS berets? Out

"we're going to the khaki beret because of .. ammm. all the times we went to the ..aaa. desert, and as a ... amm ... mamorial (sp) to our fallen comrades who died in the ...aaa... desert."

--actiual briefing from higher

Halling-

We switch on 26 JUL, at the Regt change of command. I'm not going to Ranger Rendevous though, thank god I hate Benning, I'm on rear-D. I think the SOFME kit is at PBO, I'll have to sign it out for "Squad Training" some time. wink.gif

So any one want to climb evenings this week?

How about 20 minute STABO's on a swiss seat? Or the special memories of rough terrain jumps at night?

I won't get in depth on the beret issue as I could spend the rest of the afternoon about it and am going to Washington Pass w/ Rodchester(we served together at Bragg and he is also a Ranger School grad)but what an absolute crock of shit. I am not much of an activist but am proud to say I did my part in telling everyone from Clinton to the SGM of the Army my feelings on the issue. The whole thing makes my heart sad.

Remember - Keep ambushing the folks that aim to ambush you!!

[This message has been edited by Wopper (edited 07-21-2001).]