Spring Crater Lake tour

scheissami

Hoping to head down to Crater Lake this spring to tour around the park (about thirty miles, very moderate skiing). I poked around the park's website but didn't find any great information about the routes. Does anyone have the scoop on trail-guides or maps I can find online? Anyone done this tour?

Cheers :brew:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did it on foot last weekend. Beautiful weather and I didn't see another person for two days. I can't imagine how different the road must be in the summer with hordes of people driving it. Variable coverage--almost enough snow in places to warrant bringing lightweight x-c gear (that would have been shredded by exposed pavement and rocks in many places no doubt). But also many long bare stretches.

There's also a Crater Lake Nordic Association with a website that has some info on alternate routes for avalanche reroutes. There are a couple of places where the road is exposed (to both avalanche as well as rock and icefall it appeared) that would warrant caution in almost any winter condition. Search turns-all-year for Crater Lake and you'll get a bunch of TR's that give you a good idea of what the spring conditions are like.

Amar's guide is spot-on as far as the good turns in the area. Mt. Scott looked like it would be a lot fun. The only thing I would add is that it'd be worth plotting the route on software that gives elevation profiles to see which direction gives you the most downhill milage. I'm not certain if the standard direction (clockwise, which is often preferred because you net a 700 ft loss by ending at park hq rather than on the rim) would actually be the fastest route on skis due to the elevation profile and several long, gradual climbs I recall making. In the spring with consolidated snow conditions and more daylight it would be a lot of fun to wail the thing out in a day, I think.

Edited by andyrew