Crested Butte

Rad

My wife has a conference there so we're thinking about taking our kids and going. If you've been there in recent years can you answer a few questions?

1 - Looks like there are a lot of double black diamond runs, several of which require hiking at 11000+ feet elevation to access. True? How good and hard are these runs compared with runs at Whistler and resorts in WA? Are the hikes snowboard friendly (not a lot of ups and downs)?

2 - Kid lessons and terrain any good?

3 - Favorite places to eat/drink in the village?

4 - Other comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

Rad

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived there for about 8 years. Great mountain as long as there is plenty of snow. Best places to venture out are the North Face,Phoenix, and 3rd Bowl. If you are on a snowboard, there is a little pushing involved off of the North Face area. Be sure to ask or follow a few locals otherwise a pain in the ass to get back to lifts. The double blacks are steep and incredible drops all over. Reminds me of many of the double blacks at Baker. Definitely plenty of advanced terrain to not get bored. Of course, there are plenty of groomed (beginner runs)to be found.

Night life- Talk of the Town and the Eldo; don't know if that works with kids though. If you are in the area for a while. Take the drive to the Black Canyon (Outside of Gunnison/Montrose)-about an hour.

I've skied there a few times in the 90s. I'd agree lots of rad steep stuff up high on the mountain. At the time I was living at about 8 grand, so altitude didn't take an adjustment. Most of the good runs take traversing or small hikes.

Down on the lower mountain there's lots of beginner and intermediate terrain. Good for kids. Like all of CO they have snow making, so those runs will have a decent enough snow pack.

I agree snow pack is critical for skiing the cool stuff. Keep checking reports. I made the mistake one time of going to the cheap early season ski days they have. No real snow pack on the cool runs leads to shitty skiing (this is a common issue in CO).

If you need to save money staying in Gunnison is the way to go. They don't have the fancy pants hotels/restaurants/bars like Crested Butte does.

I lived there for a couple years recently.

1 - Lot's of great double blacks, but the snow has to be good. There has to be significant accumulation before any of the "extreme terrain" stuff is even open much less good. You can call or check online to see if any of the good stuff is open before you go. The high lift and the north face lift will get you to the top of almost everything with minimal hiking. I ski but watching my friends I'd say it's very snowboard friendly. I agree about asking/following locals so you make it back to the lifts.

2 - Kid lessons and terrain are both good. They have a cool area for kids around the peachtree lift and then green runs all over depending on how comfortable they are.

3 - There are a lot of good places to eat and good coffee. You can pick up a local paper there and get good info on where to go in town. There are also some good drinking places... Talk of the Town and Eldo included. There are some serious drinkers in CB

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

The conference is the last week of January, so we'll probably have to decide about going before really knowing what the snow will be like. However, since one plane ticket and lodging will be covered by her work I bet we'll go.

If the snow is sparse I may be pining for Whistler, but I'll spend more time with the kids and use alcohol and hottubs to soothe any remaining pain.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Am in CB right now for the winter and I would say definitely would be a fun time for everyone. The town is great with a range of prices for good food and drinks and with a nice community feel. The extremes aren't open yet, but hopefully by the end of January things will be good. Can't really say anything about snowboarding terrain as it is my first winter, but there are enough boarders on the mountain that it must be decent once things open up. If you want to view a bit of the mountain watch Warren Miller's Children of Winter, good CB section in it, although last winter doesn't count.

• 2 weeks later...

CB rocks. Lived there a season, a true ski town.

"Bony" mountain w/o a solid base, so be prepared. That being said, extensive steep fall line skiing. Double black there actually means something, you can get seriously hurt inbounds. Epic local crew. Amazing backcountry options right out of town as well. Red Lady, Axtel, Snodgrass, White Mt., Teocali, Baldy, Gothic, the Anthracites, Irwin Lodge area.

Those above named bars are classic, good potential for fights at Talk of the Town too! Plenty of local flavor, major drinking + in CB. It's a cold place at the end of a road with solid skiing and limited female quotient.

Not as much skiing for kids, but enough and they will love the area. Safe, authentic, beautiful. Go there!