Movies that were ahead of there time.

kevbone

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, something was ahead of it's time if it was not noticed when it came out, wasn't appreciated until later and nothing similar was produced until much later.

kevbone seems to be mistaking that for groundbreaking or his favourite movies.

The Criterion Collection has some good before their time movies.

For me, something was ahead of it's time if it was not noticed when it came out, wasn't appreciated until later and nothing similar was produced until much later.

Are you saying if the movie is mainstream and popular it cannot be ahead of its time?

The Criterion Collection has some good before their time movies.

You mean like the bolt gun in CliffHanger? Its on my i need one list!

CliffHanger.jpgch3.jpgch4.jpg

Are you saying if the movie is mainstream and popular it cannot be ahead of its time?

Not entirely. There are movies that were ahead of their time because of subject matter and that are accepted now. There are others that pushed cinematic technique and technology in such a way as nobody else could reproduce it for a long time.

I guess 'not noticed' was a little strong. Ahead of its time mostly means that it didn't belong at the time it was made. The influence of the movie is felt much later. Many of the movies mentioned in this thread caused an immediate shift in the way things were done. That is more groundbreaking to me.

Not entirely. There are movies that were ahead of their time because of subject matter and that are accepted now. There are others that pushed cinematic technique and technology in such a way as nobody else could reproduce it for a long time.

I guess 'not noticed' was a little strong. Ahead of its time mostly means that it didn't belong at the time it was made. The influence of the movie is felt much later. Many of the movies mentioned in this thread caused an immediate shift in the way things were done. That is more groundbreaking to me.

You mean like the ADROMEDA STRAIN and THE CHINA SYNDROME?

Anchorman!!! Began the Apatow movies which later included superbad, knocked up, 40 yo virgin, pineapple express, talladega nights, zak and miri, etc. which are all in my top 10 comedies.

maybe not ahead of their but wedding crashers, super troopers, and sex drive were hella funny too and on my top 10 list.

Good tick list for you guys if you want to watch some funny movies.

I would have to agree that 2001 A Space Odyssey was way ahead of it's time. Another one that comes to mind is Silent Running.

Both good entries into this thread. I liked SR better than 2001. Especially liked the movie's premise, and Joan Baez's voice for the end credits was eerily haunting...

Did these flicks have a profound effect on the human race or how we did/changed things?

Apparently some, but not to a large degree, IMO...

One thing I always wondered about Silent Running; isn't pretty fucking cold out near the orbit of Saturn for even hardy trees? How about an orbit around the earth, for example?

Just sayin.

C'mon, Pat... biospheres, man. Biospheres. Cold outside, warm inside. Plus a little artistic license.

Just sayin'...

My favorite Sci fis (not necessarily ahead of their time, though, and not in order):

War of the Worlds

Forbidden Planet

Robinson Caruso on Mars

A Boy and His Dog

Blade Runner

Alien

Pitch Black

Supernova

Dark Star

I'd love to see The Forever War and some of Greg Bear's stuff make it to the screen.

Edited by tvashtarkatena