conditions on hood/adams/st. helens

sisu

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday found ~6-8" of fresh at Cold Springs, more than that near the Crescent Glacier, boilerplate and some blue ice with powder drifts on the Lunch Counter and up Pikers, funky blue ice rime formations across most of the cap (far more than late winter-summer), and slightly powdery boilerplate up to the summit of Adams.

One of our group blew an edge and took an impressive sliding fall coming down Pikers. Crampons bit nicely.

Everywhere with good snow had rocks beneath. Skis are scratched but happy.

St.Helens looked snowy with rocks on the cleavers.

Mt.Adams South Climb update as of 12-6-08

Road to Cold Springs is in great shape 20 plus trees have been cut out of the roadway(thanks to whoever?) to Cold Springs TH clean to 7,000ft then snow, 2' plus at 8,000ft.,snow and ice to the top,looks like "June" Don't need a Forest pass tell 12-18-08 to park at TH. spent 3 day camping and climging left Sat. windswere 10-40 mph plus making the top of the snow ice at night,no running water and i don't know why no ones up there?

From Trout Lake

DSCF2571.JPG

From Hood River,Or.

mt_adams_10-9-08.jpg

Mt.St.Helen from 8,600ft. camp Sunset

DSCF2614.JPG

Kool cloud above Lunch counter

DSCF2606.JPG

sunset

DSCF2598.JPG

DSCF2601.JPG

DSCF2612.JPG

DSCF2626.JPG

on the way down

DSCF2658.JPG

DSCF26821.JPG

• 1 month later...

St Helens on saturday 01/17/09:

Marble mount is open again, maybe 30 total people climbing that day. Snow is still 3 feet deep even at 2700 feet, skinning was good although icy and lots of deep footprints. Despite the warm temps, things remained pretty hard until well after noon. Skiing back down was all time though, perfect 1" corn on top of firm, with a few hundred feet through some softer mush around 4500ft. There are some booby traps and hazards on the route, so watch yourself, especially coming down. My buddy almost skied off a blind drop/false horizon near treeline that would have messed him up good.

Avy danger was so low I wondered why I even brought my beacon.