Washington Ice Conditions

AlpineMonkey

Guess you failed to read the post above :) Lots of ice to get stoked about in the Apental area...even today, which was the warmest in a week.

ok, i should have said that it "wasn't as fat as a few weeks ago" when i last climbed those lines, and it "killed my stoke to see them so famished".

alex, thanks for the corrections on the names.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Banks Lake Conditions Update

Brandon and I headed out there this morning and no good news to report. The cable was visible...the zenith and h202 could be climable if you like thin hollow tubes of ice. Those two were the only climbs that were connected the entire length. We ended up climbing at the devils punch bowl. Ice wasn't great and by the time we rapped down good chunks of ice were falling down. It was 41 degrees when we left.

DSCN0244.JPG

DSCN0249.JPG

DSCN0253.JPG

Climbed at the Punchbowl again, did right, left and Troskis. Ice is great right now. If anyone wants to do a first lead now is the time. It was starting to rain when we left, so I would get on it now. Nothing but plastic ice today, just sucked front points right in. I wish there were more lines, but at least I got more laps in.I think its not going to last another weekend, but a couple more days for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and played around on the Source Lake line near Alpental today with Mercyful Fate. It was clear cold and beautiful the route lies in the shade and should at least be in for the next few days. Plus there is a nicely packed slowshoe track to the base. Good fun!

Here's a shot of Mercyful Fate climbing some overhanging mixed on TR. Source Lake line to the right with some other fun looking curtain up in the gully farther right.

P1020107.JPG