Washington Ice Conditions

AlpineMonkey

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think your decisions over

Be really critical about choices both before you leave the house and at the base of the climb.

It may be good, but don't be afraid to walk away from a climb.

:tup:

Really good advice right now especially.

I toproped a line at Franklin Falls on Monday. The main falls is still flowing - I don't know if it ever freezes up. We were almost all the way left on a solid bit. I don't have a photo of the line we climbed but it was WI 2.

IMG_1651.JPGIMG_1655.JPG

For a bunch of newbies, it was a good time. Setting up the top rope required a little work, but it was worth it.

I went up there with two newbies on the 26th. It was pretty reasonable as far as avy danger went. I climbed the slab in the middle and set up a top rope over the steeper stuff between the slabs and the main falls. I looked at the stuff to the left but was too afraid to get any closer to the highway. The plow went by twice and dropped crud from 180 ft above. I keep getting errors trying to load the photo here. So the link is below. Franklin Falls pic

I'm posting this early so those of you still in search this weekend can go get some.

Today we climbed the Sundance Kid in Moses Coulee. Approx 125 ft, WI5. This one goes on my list of classic climbs.

DSCN4451.JPG

Take the Jameson (sp?) road off of Highway 2 (approx 18 miles from Coulee City) and follow it for 4 miles. This will be the second climb you see up the road. The first one you see is Butch Casidy. The approach is flat and takes about 10 minutes. In fact there is an offical trail leading to the falls. Below the falls there is a sign by the Nature Conservancy calling it Dutch Henry Falls. Only one rope needed for the climb. Walk off the top to the left. No avy, no deathcikles, just plain fun. Enjoy! :P

Nope, haven't heard from him, just my little sweetie and I.

Checked out Dusty's In and Out supposedly by Dusty Lake today. Checked the place out in summer and didn't find any wet spots. Went back today and I couldn't even see any place where ice could be. On a side note, there are some routes in above ancient lakes that arent in the book. I did one of them several years ago. They looked pretty good right now.

dusty's in and out is on the north facing wall of the coulee west of the dusty lake --- approached from the road along babcock bench, 80' of wi3 on the fra, walk off to the left (no need to rap as noted in k&m's book of wet dreams).

doesn't look like not much on scw. perhaps the mini-pineapple express will change that.

the drip is still in --- heard it was tr'd a couple times. drury and the pencil are fat.

It's suppose to be 56 degress here in Wenatchee today. Last night there was an exteremely warm wind that blew through the area, now most of the snow in the area is gone. Please don't anybody climb under any death icicles.

Rock climbing will be the call for this weekend. I'll bet it will be shirtless climbing on south facing routes in the sun pretty much anywhere.

The skiing and alpine will suck bad.

I was in Banks on Sunday and there were more Deathcicles above the punchbowl than in the photo above. They streched all the way across the route and two of em came down while we were there. It was cold as shit too. If you climbunder those things you are a crazyperson.

wanna go rock climbing paul?

Actually, this w/e I'm taking down the Christmas tree and going back up on the roof to pull down the lights. I'm the last person to do so on the whole block. Dem lights don' look so purdy with all the snow gone... :(