Where's the snow?

josephfazioli

Anyone know where I can find some snow? When I ask most people, I generally get "Up high." Yeah, I understand that, but where? I want to take my gf and dog out winter camping someplace relatively accessible.

Hopefully I can find something within 2 hours of Bellingham.

Being from the east coast, I'm missing the snow in the city and just want to sleep on some soon. I'm going out next wednesday-thursday.

Any ideas?

PS No glaciers, because of the dog and gf lack of experience.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the crevasses open on Ruth right now, though?

There is a campsite on the right before ascending toward Hannegan pass.

Also, another good option is to head up towards the Easton Glacier on Baker. From the Schriebers Meadows trailhead in a few miles cross the creek then start switchbacking up this very flat well graded trail... when you crest out of the trees and now see Baker you might see some snow right there. If not, you can keep heading uphill from there or just hop on the railroad grade (dirt/grassy ridge to the right). Keep going up and camp on the left wherever you see snow. There is a camping spot shortly on the left with a sign with views out to the sound. You can pretty much keep going up higher for a while with camping options on the left without getting on the glacier on the right.

I hear ya on the lack of snow (and cold temps) at city level...

You can't go winter camping when it's not even winter! Who actually WANTS to sleep on snow anyway. That's just ridiculous.

That's funny, those were my initial thoughts.

You should get a map and go check out the Ptarmigan Ridge area beyond Artists Point above Baker ski area--all quite close to B-ham. Though there are few "permanent" large snow fields left right now there's been ground covering snow off and on for a bit lately and you'd have very scenic walking, and no crevasse danger on the main hiking trail route. There are quite a few trip reports and pictures of ski trips on turns-all-year.com subject: Ptarmigan Ridge.

Have fun.