Hood North Face Access?

Braydon

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing the approach from meadows would be a huge hassle. Starting at the Tilly jane trail head and walking will still work just fine. The fires that happened over the summer and the closed areas will not affect this. As for the time to climb the route including the hike in? a fit party should have no problem going car to car in 12 hrs. i have done it in as little as 8 but we had no snags and had previously done the route quite a few times.

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but this has been well covered. All the access trails are closed as of now. There is NO access via foot or vehicle from that area. The Tilly Jane trail is officially closed, as well as the Cloud Cap Road. It sounds as if once the snow falls and the fragile soil is covered, things will lighten up a bit, or so let's hope.

Here is the statement, from October 10th:

Due to rehabilitation activities and sensitive resource conditions associated with the Gnarl Ridge Fire, the area shown as ‘Closed’ on Exhibit A is closed to entry. This closure includes the following campgrounds, trails and roads:

• Tilly Jane Campground

• Cloud Cap Campground

• Cloud Cap Road #3512

• Cooper Spur Trail #600-B

• Polallie Ridge #643

• Wagon Road #642

• Tilly Jane Trail #648

• Tilly Jane Trail #600-A

• Tilly Jane Trail #643

The area shown as ‘Restricted’ on Exhibit A restricts use of motorized vehicles within the area excepting use on Forest Road 3511.

ALSO:

Order No. MH-2008-11

AREA CLOSURE

FIRE

MOUNT HOOD NATIONAL FOREST

HOOD RIVER RANGER DISTRICT

ORDER

Effective at 0001 hours on Friday, October 10, 2008 and pursuant to 36 CFR, Sec. 261.50 (A) & (B), the following acts are prohibited on the area shown in “exhibit A” and including sites as described in “exhibit B”. This is designated as the Gnarl Ridge Fire Closure Area and remains in effect until rescinded.

1. Being in or upon a closed area. [36 CFR 261.52(E)]

2. Use of vehicles off National Forest System Roads [36 CFR 261.56]

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (E) the following persons are exempt from these prohibitions:

1. Persons with a permit, waiver or contract specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission.

2. Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.

This order rescinds and replaces Order # MH-2008-10 signed on September 29, 2008.

Done at Sandy, Oregon this 9th day of October, 2008.

GARY L. LARSEN

Forest Supervisor

Mt Hood National Forest

Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. (16U.S.C. 551, and 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571)

Here is the map:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood/news/2008/gnarl-fire/10_08closure.pdf

what the south side descent like this time of year? Do you have to rap? off what?

I did the North Face a couple of years ago around this time of year. We made an easy descent 100 yards skiers right of the Pearly Gates. Pearly Gates were steep and icy.

iain and i had a very spicey descent nov 1 a number of years ago on bullet-proof black ice, but it went - at any rate, if you can get to the summit, i'm sure you can get back down again. be careful on the west side - in warm conditions the shit that comes down it is often no-joke.

...not to mention the crevasses at the bottom of the W side, prolly not filled or covered yet. Definitely requires the serious alpine start to minimize objective hazards.

Temps at TLine were below freezing yesterday and last nite, warming a bit today, should freeze again tonite. We are heading up the SS tonite/tomorrow for a bit of ice climbing above the hogsback.

Well, among all this trash talk about fires and restricted access to the NF of hood, I felt the need to travel up there my self this Saturday.

Well, me and my partner in crime arrived late and with minor hangovers at the TJ ski trail around 10 this morning. Hmmm... There where already five cars in the parking area...

Heading up the trail, it's obvious that people are hiking the trail regardless of restrictions. There are no notices or signs at the TH stating any kind of restriction as far as access is concerned.

The burn area is impressive..

IMG_0007-2.jpg

The amount of burned area is actually pretty awesome, and most if not all of the scrub is gone. This year is going to open up some really fun new ski lines below the Tilly Jane area.

IMG_0009-1.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

The FS has strewn hay and straw all over the hills, apparently in an effort to curtial erosion.

IMG_0012-2.jpg

All in all, a nice day for a hike...

IMG_0011.jpg

Edited by Frikadeller