Drytool simulator for the gym

billcoe

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool beans Bill! You can do the same drill with a peg board (I have on in my backyard) and real ice tools.

Here's what I want for warm soggy November days!

[video:youtube]

I have all the materials to build one (including the system tiles!)... I'm just waiting as we might be moving again :crazy:

If anyone in PDX wants to train (rock or ice) send me a PM! :wazup:

• 2 weeks later...

Good workouts for dry tooling, won't do too much for swing tools on ice and prescision. Preseason ice climbing I usually like do to do tool swings with dumbells. I usually do 3 sets of 10 reps, repeated three times with each hand. I also do it front of the mirror so I can focus on swinging to the same location. First set of 10 I do directly overhead, 2nd out about 5 degrees out and 3 out another 5 degrees. Make sure to get your flicks in and 10lbs is generally good enough weight, any larger the weights tend to get in the way of the flicking action. I generally follow tool swings after doing sets of alternating dumbell curls. Pullups on PVC pipe (3") usually wrapped with grip tape. Calf raisees and stairs are also reall good fro preseason ice.

I have thought about taping or fixing weight to my tools, but always end up using dumbells. Sometime I use my toools for pull up but I find it easier than PVC.

If you are just going for a workout then yeah it could be interesting. You get the same strength if not more from just strait up rock climbing. I train in my tools just doing pull-ups, lock offs and frenchies. As for core training there are a bunch of exercises I like, but if you want to develop the muscle for climbing on steep terrain then train climbing on steep terrain, and cross train with strength training exercises.

You can get a bunch of big number ascents with this monkey training, but it doesn't do anything for your technique on lower angle terrain you will generally find in the mountains. If alpinism is your game. Then tape up your tools put on your boots and a 30+lb pack and start pumping laps on some easier routes.

Straps won't imitate the pick balance that actually presents the problem when moving on delicate terrain.

• 3 weeks later...