Borah Peak Fall Conditions

agman

I am heading to Pocatello (from Seattle) for a week (November 17-21) and am hoping to climb Borah while I am there. Any thoughts on conditions this time of year - Skis, snowshoes, screws, pickets, etc.??? How much snow have they gotten so far?

Also, if anybody is in the area and would be interested in joining me, I would love to have a compadre.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the north face of Borah a couple years back in the first week of November. We had a bit of a wallow. We used snowshoes to get to the mountain and then swam up the vast majority of the route. We placed a couple pickets towards the top when things got a little steeper, but the screws we carried were pretty much useless.

I have no idea what kind of snow they have gotten this year though.

I live there, and there is no snow in town right now. We climbed Borah 2 weeks ago and there was a good deal up there already and probably a lot more now. I climbed Scout Mountain on Saturday and the conditions were still great... only at the very top did we find ourselves punching holes...while following giant moose tracks! Massacre Rocks is only a little south of town too. For reason it is much toastier there than anywhere else in the area. Have fun!