• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
kevino

question concercing wa/canada border crossing

Long story short...

Has anyone crossed the border recently WITHOUT a passport/EDL? I might have my EDL by the date I'm going but there is no guarentee. Just wondering if the old driver's license and birth certificate will still get me through. Thanks for any help/advice.

Ok, after a little research found this from the US Customs and Border page, so hopefully this will help some other people:

Land Travel

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

But I'd still appreciate from any people who have done that if they recieved any trouble, etc. Thanks again.

I was able to get through in Late Sept. with license and Birth cert. I think you need a passport starting in June '09.

Actually I got through, but my buddy couldn't (long story, but it made me hate crossing the border/ and those cocksucker agents even more).

Crillz has the beta, Kevin. As of late August, my wife got through with a WA State DL and a birth certificate. Her passport had expired in April of this year, and she forgot to have it renewed in time for the trip. My M-I-L was on that same trip, and she had a valid WA DL and an expired passport (no BC) and she was let to pass as well. The border agents told them both that neither of those combinations will work next year. Passports or government-issued photo ID cards only in '09.

Yes, you are correct. Flight requires a valid passport, no other ID will do. Sorry I didn't clarify that in my post, but I know Kevin and I figgerd he ain't takin' a plane over there.

we should blow up canada, eh? them oil sands will pay for the whole endeavor no doubt.

If travelling on a commercial carrier such as plane, bus, train, or ferry, you would do best to have a passport.

Border agents differ on whether the passport needs to be current. My wife was recently told it was okay to fly on an expired passport.

But probably agents can refuse an old passport or if they don't like your looks.

When crossing in your car a passport will be needed sooner or later.

Rules are a little different for Canadians, Americans, Canadians living in the U.S., and Americans living in Canada.

My friends girlfriend was denied on Thursday to go to Las Vegas sine her passport was expired

she is Canadian with a birth certificate, they told her to drive across then fly..

it costs 80 bucks for a passport. it is valid for 10 years. that's $8 per year. That's a cost of a good six pack. get over it. get proper travel documents.

As of 2009 it will be mandatory to cross the border anyway.