Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is.....

pope

Where? If you have State Farm home-owner's insurance, don't expect to be helped with water damage. In their exclusions, they will not cover damage related to a "continued exposure to water" or damage related to mold and mildew.

So when the inspector arrives and sees a little mold (which can form in 24 hours), or notices water has wicked up sheet rock (which is lined with paper), he'll tell you that "I'm going to attempt to cover you when I present your case but I'm a little doubtful because the evidence suggests the damage was caused by an on-going problem."

When you call his manager, you'll find out that the decision to reject your claim was made by the inspector (not some review panel or higher authority) and that the inspector is an expert at making such judgements. Never mind how subjective and vague the language found in the exlcusions happens to be. Never mind that a dishwasher hose split half-way open and sprayed water under pressure all over your cabinets and floor, a machine newer than 2 years and still under warranty. Never mind that you've been a customer for 25 years and have never made a claim.

Fuck you, State Farm. If you're "covered" by State Farm, you'd better read the exclusions. You'll find them to be vaguely worded and subject to interpretation, which in the end means your "good neighbor" will not be there when it's time to cut you a check. Fuck you, State Farm.

And fuck you, LG Electronics. Life's good? Your P.O.S. does not make my life good, neither does the run-around I get from your customer service department. Similar comments to Home Depot and their extended warranty that I purchased. My house is a mess, my kids are sick, I'm sick.

For comparison, a friend experienced similar damage (but more catastrophic). Her insurance had a mop-up crew out immediately. They completely gutted her home. They assigned a licensed, bonded contractor to install new cabinets, new floors, new plumbing, etc., etc., etc.....and they've put her up in a hotel while they take care of her home. And they're giving her a generous food allowance. She's not a policy holder with State Farm.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2000 I was rearended by a State Farm insured kid 100+mph in a 35mph road,we stoped to turn left. The kid left 115ft of skid mark and totaled out the 68 Camaro i was in,sending us 150 ft. and turn around in some old peoples yard,no dout his fault,The next day i was watch T.V. News and the story was about State Farm and how they were being sued by the AG of all 50 State for not paying claims on people they insured. I had Farmers PIP,thank god and they payed $38,500 to cover my bills. State Farm setled out of court 4 years 3 mo. later!!! Some things haven't changed!!

For comparison, a friend experienced similar damage (but more catastrophic). Her insurance had a mop-up crew out immediately. They completely gutted her home. They assigned a licensed, bonded contractor to install new cabinets, new floors, new plumbing, etc., etc., etc.....and they've put her up in a hotel while they take care of her home. And they're giving her a generous food allowance. She's not a policy holder with State Farm.

That was my experience with Allstate when my whole south side roof blew off and the fence was knocked down by high winds. They had it fixed fast. Pope, if you really feel you are in the right (and I bet you are), tell them you find they're rejection of your claim unacceptable and if they don't revise their opinion you will consult and attorney and make it a court case: and also call the insurance commissioners office.

Don't give up buddy.

Good luck :wave:

ps, when I started buying guns, thought I'd better get a dehumidifier. I was surprised that it pulled 4 gallons of water out of the air in the first 3 days. Something to consider.

Edited by billcoe

That was my experience with Allstate when my whole south side roof blew off and the fence was knocked down by high winds. They had it fixed fast. Pope, if you really feel you are in the right (and I bet you are), tell them you find they're rejection of your claim unacceptable and if they don't revise their opinion you will consult and attorney and make it a court case: and also call the insurance commissioners office.

Don't give up buddy.

Good luck :wave:

I blew up my house with a homemade domestic terrorist bomb and USAA covered it in full, no questions asked.

Allstate and Farmers are both notorious for denying valid claims and obnoxious litigation practices. The plaintiff's attorneys have special workshops about how to deal with them and the judges hate 'em because of their scortched earth litigation tactics.

Insurance companies in general seem to really suck. Besides USAA, what other companies may be better than average if you actually have to file a claim?

USAA rocks. Love 'em.
2nd that, USAA has always gone above and beyond for me. Things like covering a tow on an expired vehicle several days AFTER I canceled the policy, extremely fast payment on claims... When I did shop around for car insurance, the other companies would ask who I was currently with, when I told them USAA, they said not to bother shopping cause I am getting the best possible deal.

I have also heard of good things about USAA from friends. I just haven't made my decision to change. I have American Family Insurance for auto and home...never had any problems with home, but the car issues (which were my fault) were handled reasonably and the rates keep going down a bit each six months. I had State Farm many many years ago, and they were expensive....and I never had a claim.

pemco is awesome. I got rear ended by a lady with geico. It was a gentle bump that left a $300 dent in my bumper. She backed up after hitting me and claimed she didn't hit me. I felt the bump, got out and saw the dent. She denied it. Pemco and geico fought each other in court for a year over a $300 dent, but pemco won and I got paid.

Take pictures after an accident with your cell phone. They will deny ever being there but if you have pictures...

Thanks for the advice.....EVERYBODY! Even the folks I often disagree with jumped in offering good advice and encouragement. I've read the policy and exclusions carefully and I believe State Farm is obligated to deliver. Monday I will take it to the next level. Then I will promptly find other insurance.

Good luck with them, Pope.

My homeowners renewal is this month and I'm not joking when I say that your post here is causing me to actually undertake more serious consideration whether we should switch insurers (we now have State Farm).

My wife thinks PEMPCO is good.

Since the hurricanes that ravaged Florida a few years back and especially since Katrina - most insurance companies now attempt to either deny claims outright or quickly send a way lowball check. I'm guessing 15-20% walk away after a denial, another 20-30% take the lowball check, and the rest squawk. Those that squawk then probably get offered slightly more, and they only settle for the full amount with those folks who get really belligerent with them and ride out their bullshit making clear they're not going away. Regardless how you stack it, they undoubtably save a ton of cash progressively shining folks on...

That was our case when my wife was hit by an Allstate driver and my brother's experience in Virginia with hurricane damage to their home. We had to send back the checks and get relentlessly in their face. So, if an insurance company just sends you a check out of the blue after an accident, the best course of action is to immediately Fedex it back to them and put them on notice you expect to be fully compensated according to the terms of your policy. If they jack you around then let them know you are contacting your state's insurance commissioner's office.

Stay resolute, on point, and in their face - this is definitely a 'squeaky wheel' sort of deal...

P.S. Anyone who has a way of getting involved with USAA should jump at the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the S.O.B.'s an ultimatum with a deadline. "Give me satisfaction by such-n-such date or else all future correspondence will be through our attorney."

It worked. They called my wife and said, "We want to do everything we can to help you." Now I believe we have a case. I believe we can demonstrate that their exclusions do not apply. Otherwise, why would they be responding?

The plan is to present to State Farm a couple of bids, which happen to be far more expensive than I ever imagined. Then we'll add quantifiable damages incurred as a result of State Farm's failure to act promptly to comply with the contract we signed. Then we'll tell them that the figure is not negotiable and give another deadline for payment. After which all correspondence will be through our attorney.

Good plan? BTW, who knows a capable attorney willing to deal with smalish home-owners' claims? I've found an abundance of attorneys specializing in personal injury claims. MattP? Can you suggest somebody?

Problem with threatening to go the attorney route is that attorneys cost $$$. They make money coming and going. That doesn't mean some aren't worth it, but litigation costs would make your head spin. For these reasons, I like the I'm filing a grievance/complaint (or whatever it is) with the insurance commissioner threat better.

Where? If you have State Farm home-owner's insurance, don't expect to be helped with water damage. In their exclusions, they will not cover damage related to a "continued exposure to water" or damage related to mold and mildew.

So when the inspector arrives and sees a little mold (which can form in 24 hours), or notices water has wicked up sheet rock (which is lined with paper), he'll tell you that "I'm going to attempt to cover you when I present your case but I'm a little doubtful because the evidence suggests the damage was caused by an on-going problem."

When you call his manager, you'll find out that the decision to reject your claim was made by the inspector (not some review panel or higher authority) and that the inspector is an expert at making such judgements. Never mind how subjective and vague the language found in the exlcusions happens to be. Never mind that a dishwasher hose split half-way open and sprayed water under pressure all over your cabinets and floor, a machine newer than 2 years and still under warranty. Never mind that you've been a customer for 25 years and have never made a claim.

Fuck you, State Farm. If you're "covered" by State Farm, you'd better read the exclusions. You'll find them to be vaguely worded and subject to interpretation, which in the end means your "good neighbor" will not be there when it's time to cut you a check. Fuck you, State Farm.

And fuck you, LG Electronics. Life's good? Your P.O.S. does not make my life good, neither does the run-around I get from your customer service department. Similar comments to Home Depot and their extended warranty that I purchased. My house is a mess, my kids are sick, I'm sick.

Damn Pope...hope this works out for you...that sucks...

Our own Geoff would chase that ambulance for you quite capably I suspect, but he lives in PDX. Once they start working with you, you usually don't have to keep beating them over the head with the lawyer thing. If you do need to toss it out there, filing a grievance as Rad says is another tool in the box though.

Good to see it moving along for you, looks like it's going to work out OK in the end. We'll keep our fingers crossed: good luck!

I'm afraid I don't have much to add, Pope.

Bad faith insurance cases are tough and even if your repair bills are extraordinary there usually isn't enough money involved to make it worthwhile to file suit. I don't think an attorney will take it as a contingency case, so the insurance company knows that it can drag its feet and make the pretrial process expensive and you'll likely run out of war chest - and if you do have a contingency attorney they'll just do it to the attorney. Good on you for sticking with it, though. A lot of times I think the insurance companies say no to close call or even not so close call claims just hoping the consumer will accept it.

Years ago, the Insurance Commissioner used to be very helpful on these matters. I know Kriedler is supposed to be fairly consumer friendly and I think he may have to some degree gone against insurance companies on issues related to bad faith. It might be worth a call or threat of a call.