A view from Europe

Peter_Puget

So different than the arrogant American.....when will we learn...

It would be rash to make a sweeping moral judgment on a group of people like the American voting public. Morality entails two dimensions: an objective dimension and a subjective dimension. The first dimension concerns whether a given choice or action is right or wrong in itself. The second dimension involves intention and moral knowledge. Our Catholic tradition has always recognized the possibility of “invincible ignorance,” whereby a person does something wrong while sincerely and perhaps blamelessly believing it to be right. I doubt many Americans voted for Obama thinking they were doing something wrong.

On the other hand, this doesn’t mean that we aren’t morally responsible for this choice. Some people may have allowed more superficial concerns triumph over more weighty moral issues in determining which way they would vote. All who voted for Obama will in some way share in the responsibility for his actions as president, at least as far as they were foreseeable. As far as life issues, marriage, and school choice go (to take three key moral issues), we already know where Obama stands and what he intends to do. Personally, I wouldn’t want that on my conscience.

Thomas D. Williams

Dean of theology and professor of moral theology and Catholic social thought at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical University in Rome, Vatican Analyst for CBS News

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be rash to make a sweeping moral judgment on a group of people like the American voting public. Morality entails two dimensions: an objective dimension and a subjective dimension. The first dimension concerns whether a given choice or action is right or wrong in itself. The second dimension involves intention and moral knowledge. Our Catholic tradition has always recognized the possibility of “invincible ignorance,” whereby a person does something wrong while sincerely and perhaps blamelessly believing it to be right. I doubt many Americans voted for Obama thinking they were doing something wrong.

On the other hand, this doesn’t mean that we aren’t morally responsible for this choice. Some people may have allowed more superficial concerns triumph over more weighty moral issues in determining which way they would vote. All who voted for Obama will in some way share in the responsibility for his actions as president, at least as far as they were foreseeable. As far as life issues, marriage, and school choice go (to take three key moral issues), we already know where Obama stands and what he intends to do. Personally, I wouldn’t want that on my conscience.

Thomas D. Williams

Dean of theology and professor of moral theology and Catholic social thought at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical University in Rome, Vatican Analyst for CBS News

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!SOME "BIG" ISSUES!!!!!

All of Europe is ecstatic about Obama's victory and PP manages to find a completely different spin on the whole thing.

Our Catholic tradition has always recognized the possibility of “invincible ignorance,” whereby a person does something wrong while sincerely and perhaps blamelessly believing it to be right.

You're becoming a denial comedy Peter.

Edited by General Zod

Thomas D. Williams

Since when does it take this many words to say that the masses are mostly mindless, but are guilty anyway and will be punished somehow for swinging away from this elitist's personal moral views?

Thomas D. Williams

Then by that philosophy, anybody who voted for George W. Bush in 2004 is responsible for the public deaths and American deaths in the ongoing Iraq conflict.

Thomas D. Williams

peter, why should anyone care what this apologist for the catholic church has to say?

I went to a Catholic school but wasn't probed,the Nuns use to send me the Fathers office alot but i guss my ass wasn't that great! The Nuns were badass with a ruler,i've had a few explode across me back! I use to think they bought them by the gross.

Edited by pc313

Since when does it take this many words to say that the masses are mostly mindless, but are guilty anyway and will be punished somehow for swinging away from this elitist's personal moral views?

DOUCHE BAG ALERT! DOUCHE BAG ALERT! EAT A DICK ASSWIPE_JUSTIN!