• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jrex

Winter Camping

Hey Climbers, My brother (34) and nephew (11) are coming into town around Thanksgiving and they want to build a snow cave. If conditions are good maybe sleep in it. My question is where could we go that might give us the best chance at building one that is close to our vehicle? I am open to areas around Hood or Adams. I plan on going up before hand to scope the area out but im not sure where to start. A second question would be, is this a bad idea? Dangerous to newbies? Thanks in advance..

Just don't make the mistake of tunnelling into the snowbank created by the snowplow. A couple of guys were killed when the snowplow came by and collapsed the cave.

A gruesome reminder. But a good reminder. No snow caves in parking lots...http://www.nrtoday.com/article/20060129/NEWS/60129003

agreed. Timberline is great for such a thing. park in the lower gravel lot, head north toward the mountain above a ravine. around that ravine should be plenty of spots to build a good one, if there is enough snow. With the weather this week, we may get enough.

I would also suggest using wands or something to mark the perimeters of your cave so you don't get people walking over it and collapsing is on top of you.

And ditto, stay away from roads and parking lots!

Take pictures and post when your done!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully it keeps dumping up high and we get the chance.