Winter Camping

jrex

Hey Climbers, My brother (34) and nephew (11) are coming into town around Thanksgiving and they want to build a snow cave. If conditions are good maybe sleep in it. My question is where could we go that might give us the best chance at building one that is close to our vehicle? I am open to areas around Hood or Adams. I plan on going up before hand to scope the area out but im not sure where to start. A second question would be, is this a bad idea? Dangerous to newbies? Thanks in advance..

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. Timberline is great for such a thing. park in the lower gravel lot, head north toward the mountain above a ravine. around that ravine should be plenty of spots to build a good one, if there is enough snow. With the weather this week, we may get enough.

I would also suggest using wands or something to mark the perimeters of your cave so you don't get people walking over it and collapsing is on top of you.

And ditto, stay away from roads and parking lots!

Take pictures and post when your done!

Good luck!