Autumn Colors this year

Alex

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having this same conversation a few days ago, my feeling is that it was because of the many nice days that we had. We got a lot more direct sunlight shining on those colorful leaves as opposed to the diffused light coming through the clouds which dulls those vibrant colors. Indeed though, beautiful fall!

Post more pics if you have them! I'm missing the WA foliage!! Colorado has boring leaves. The aspens are kind of cool- but mostly just yellow. The other trees have leaves that turn yellow or just brown and fall off. :(

Someone told me that the leaves turn depending on the humidity of the region... I'm not sure if that's true but humidity affects the wavelength of the light getting through to the leaves and the leaves have different chlorophyll depending on what light wavelengths they use . Again- just something i heard.

Post more pics if you have them! I'm missing the WA foliage!! Colorado has boring leaves. The aspens are kind of cool- but mostly just yellow. The other trees have leaves that turn yellow or just brown and fall off. :(

Someone told me that the leaves turn depending on the humidity of the region... I'm not sure if that's true but humidity affects the wavelength of the light getting through to the leaves and the leaves have different chlorophyll depending on what light wavelengths they use . Again- just something i heard.

Something I heard and pass along through the holes and filters of memory: bright leaf colors may be a warning to insects that the tree had a good year and has strong defenses against pests looking to lay eggs for next years brood. Even trees of the same species growing close to each other can show different colors and the earlier you put up yours the better your chances against your neighbor. Nature red in tooth and claw and branch?

A good picture of a falling leaf can be a great statement about the tragic beauty of life in a universe of uncaring vaccuum.

This is not such a picture. It only says that Halloween candy better be bought by tomorrow night.

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

• 2 weeks later...