Eastern Wa Ice Beta

jordansahls

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good rule of thumb: look at the forecast for Ellensburg or Moses Lake, daily. When daytime highs only get to a little above freezing, or stay below, it's a good time to think about ice in the desert. Or, if we have 4 or more days or an Artic front (yes, some of the stuff can form up that fast). When it's cold enough in November to form ice, you'll REALLY know! I've climbed Devil's Punchbowl on Nov 3rd before, but it was after a few days of true bitter cold. In my book, Jeff Renner calls these "Back Door Cold Fronts". They come down from the Canadian interior, and are pretty recognizable, though short-lived. We usually get one or two a season.

It's 43 in Ellensburg right now, it's far too warm still for any ice to have formed up in the lowlands. With this weeks storm cycle, I'd be pretty sure that the easy approach for Colfax and Eldorado are also gone now.

No worries, just trying to ease the inevitable waiting.

Jeff Street has some magic website he watches for telemetry data off White Pass (for Strobach) if not for other places. There's alot of resources you can plug in with a few bookmarks in your browser to make finding ice (aside from watching this website) more fruitful, too.