Rainier, April 22 through 27

wdkingmnan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kashmir:

you pathetic climbers, you do know that PAYING someone to carry loads, guide, etc, without an IBP. Is ILLEGAL.

So is driving 26 m.p.h. within the MRNP boundary, but I bet you've done it with impunity. I don't know what law you're referring to, but 36 C.F.R. 54 (?) does say that is illegal to "engage in" a commercial activity within the park boundary. Guiding clearly requires a concession permit. I'd argue that accepting a gratuity for hauling a pack to Muir doesn't violate the statute. Besides, this is America. Even porters in communist China get paid to haul loads.

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:

What the hell is wrong with someone wanting help carrying their gear up to Camp Muir? You don't know what they're going to be doing up there - you don't know how old they are - you don't know their situation at all, so don't judge! Besides, climbers use porters in the Himalaya, and climbers get planes to haul their gear in Alaska. Is that also "pathetic"?

What's pathetic is climbers with elitist attitudes like this.

Phil

Some folks couldn't survive w/o Big Bro!

Couldn't agree more with you Phil

Shame on you Bill-baiting never leads to anything good

Smoker

I have no ethics and would love to help carry your gear up to camp Muir for $. Last year my buddy and I made it to the summit of Rainier, with the help of a porter to carry some of our gear to Muir. Despite what these other people are replying with, it's a great way to go! Let me know

Wow, people wanting to take your packs up for free! Last year on our climb we thought the gravy train rolled into paradise when 120 army guys filed out of 2 buses for a hike to Muir. My buddy offered $50 to anyone to take his pack up--no takers once they saw how much it weighed! They were shivering in their cold wet jeans at the hut and half of them were snow blind by then. And it's hard to bring up ethics when there is a rut all the way up anyway.

Bill

What the hell is wrong with someone wanting help carrying their gear up to Camp Muir? You don't know what they're going to be doing up there - you don't know how old they are - you don't know their situation at all, so don't judge! Besides, climbers use porters in the Himalaya, and climbers get planes to haul their gear in Alaska. Is that also "pathetic"?

What's pathetic is climbers with elitist attitudes like this.

Phil

Mr. Wdkingmnan:

As a result of the overwhelming response to my new corporation, Unethical Porters.com I went IPO yesterday netting the $50 I was hoping to get from you to carry a load for you or your brother. This will approximatly cover my entry pass and climbers pass for the next year at Mt. Rainier.

I am now secretly planning the bankrupcy of the corporation and will not be available to "join the fun" or porter gear for you and your brother on April 22 throught the 27th.

Word to your mother-

Insincerly,

Bronco

cc: Kashmier

• 1 month later...

I try to never climb with a "loaded gun" too...Is that hair gel???

Maybe we can start listing auctions at Ebay or AdultFriend Finder for porter services...might sound too much like a singles ad though.......

"Married, WM, 28, HWP, NS, social drinker; seeks companionship and fun in the outdoors, willing to carry the "load" for you........."