Display Upgrades

jon

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

We've done a few modifications to the board tonight.

1) Now next to everyone's post where it shows the post count, it also shows the number of TRs and number of photos posted

2) When you click on the user name and you get the popup menu, there are now links to all the users photos and trip reports

3) In the user profile page, it now shows the users total trip reports, total photos, as well as links to their 10 latest trips

Over the next several months we will be adding more and more features, so if you have suggestions please post them in this thread.

Thanks

cool features.

maybe you could add a feature to disable a user's ability to post if their spray:tr ratio is too high? ;-)

Hi everyone,

We've done a few modifications to the board tonight.

1) Now next to everyone's post where it shows the post count, it also shows the number of TRs and number of photos posted

2) When you click on the user name and you get the popup menu, there are now links to all the users photos and trip reports

3) In the user profile page, it now shows the users total trip reports, total photos, as well as links to their 10 latest trips

Over the next several months we will be adding more and more features, so if you have suggestions please post them in this thread.

Thanks

cool features.

maybe you could add a feature to disable a user's ability to post if their spray:tr ratio is too high? ;-)

If that happened nobody would be able to post anything.

Is it just me, or do other folks here find that when you hit Reply or try to throw up an edit to a post, your cursor drops to the banner at the bottom of the page? And then you gotta scroll back up to the dialogue box of your post? And when you hit Enter immediately after you've been dumped at the bottom banner, that suddenly you're into the banner's advertising? Annoying.

:anger:

Tvash had a similar discussion in his "Quotes" thread. Is anyone working on curing this annoying phenomenon?

Not just you. I suppose it's so more ads can come up as "served" for the advertisers, who largely support this site. Any mods care to comment?

Yet seeing three at once is kinda like car with too many bumper stickers. All you do is confuse people with which one to read, annoy them and leave your message unread.

When I click on view trip reports directly from a username sometimes it leads me directly to the complete TR forum and I have to search by name rather than the link leading directly to the TRs posted by a username. Just a heads up, but I am using the old Firefox for browsing.

Is it just me, or do other folks here find that when you hit Reply or try to throw up an edit to a post, your cursor drops to the banner at the bottom of the page? And then you gotta scroll back up to the dialogue box of your post? And when you hit Enter immediately after you've been dumped at the bottom banner, that suddenly you're into the banner's advertising? Annoying.

Tvash had a similar discussion in his "Quotes" thread. Is anyone working on curing this annoying phenomenon?

When this happens to you, is one of the ads blank and has a blue x in the upper lefthand corner? I have a feeling this is some strange issue with a broken ad.

When I click on view trip reports directly from a username sometimes it leads me directly to the complete TR forum and I have to search by name rather than the link leading directly to the TRs posted by a username. Just a heads up, but I am using the old Firefox for browsing.

Does the user have any TRs when this happens?

When this happens to you, is one of the ads blank and has a blue x in the upper lefthand corner? I have a feeling this is some strange issue with a broken ad.

No jon, the ad's not broken. A couple of weeks ago it was the "Hiking Singles" ad. I thought mebbe you guys were trying to tell me something.

Last week it was some computer game (??) ad with a kid riding a bicycle down a street, dodging monsters, avoiding aliens, outwitting ninjas, etc. "Enjoy the wild ride at nowwhat.com" was the ad.

Looking forward to what this week's drop-the-cursor-to-the-bottom ad will be... :)

Well, I just tried that, and yes, it's pops back up to the very first line of what will become text in the "reply" box. It does not pop back up all the way to the top of the page, just the top of the dialogue box for replies/posts.

You're getting warmer.

There's still a problem with the quotes, too. I've noticed, as did Tvash, that after about the third or fourth time a post is quoted, the original authors become hard to distinguish, because the software doesn't attribute the quoted text to the correct author after a certain number of embedded/multiple quotations.

But when you go into the edit screen to check the tags, the "quote" and "/ quote" tags are all in the right position and embedded correctly. But when you submit and go back to the board, it's still fucked up. That's gonna be a real hard one to figure out, because it appears correct in the edit screen.

For an example, check out the exchange between me and Bug in my birthday thread. In the 15th reply (post from Bug), it appears correctly. But in the 17th reply (from me back to Bug), it's all fucked up and the attributions appear to be reversed as to who posted what. This is happening all over the board when the number of embedded quotes reaches about the fourth reply.

BTW jon, scratch what I said above about the cursor returning to the top of the page if I left the mouse alone for a bit. It's not going back up on its own anymore. It's been staying stuck down in the banner ads at the bottom of the page again, right after I posted to you that it was returning if I didn't fuck with the mouse. I've not been fucking with the mouse, and now it's back to the same old-same old of parking itself at the bottom of the page. You may have been tweaking the board while all of this has been going on...

Windows XP Pro, SP 2

IE 7.0

Did it happen the same time we added the new features (10/30), or after that? Just trying to nail down if it has something to do with that or something else. I might try getting rid of the ads for a bit to see if that is the problem. We'll get it figured out.

Did it happen the same time we added the new features (10/30), or after that? Just trying to nail down if it has something to do with that or something else.

It was right around that time; shortly after Halloween. I may not have been online immediately after Halloween, cuz that was a Friday and I prolly left my laptop at work for that weekend. So I would've noticed things not working quite right the following week at work, beginning November 3.

Just a little update here. I need to check to make sure that it's not something that is in our code, which is possible because it started around the time of our upgrade. The actual code for the profile popup is at the bottom of the page, so that could be it. I still think it's a problem with the google ads as, at least for me, only happens when a broken ad is served, which for whatever reason is regrettably happening a lot. Anyways, we do apologize that this is happening and we'll try to figure it out!

BTW jon, scratch what I said above about the cursor returning to the top of the page if I left the mouse alone for a bit. It's not going back up on its own anymore. It's been staying stuck down in the banner ads at the bottom of the page again, right after I posted to you that it was returning if I didn't fuck with the mouse. I've not been fucking with the mouse, and now it's back to the same old-same old of parking itself at the bottom of the page. You may have been tweaking the board while all of this has been going on...

Windows XP Pro, SP 2

IE 7.0

+1 more. I noticed it the other day when I logged on after not being here for a while. Every time I clicked on a paged (or back-spaced) I was taken to the bottom of the page to the ads.

• 2 months later...

Maybe this has something to with the fact that I have a new LT and I made the choice (probably the wrong choice) to go with Vista (and IE7). But when I log in here...and only here, things are fragmented. Once I sign on and go to a particular thread and hover, my cursor is actually looking at the thread (or poster's name, depending on where it is) above. It's all screwed up. I have to refresh every time in order to fix it. Every time. It's driving me insane.

And the same problem mentioned earlier keeps occurring when I back out of a thread, it immediately drops to the ad at the bottom of the page. The ads seem to be running the show around here. Yes, I've cleared my cookies...MANY times.

Are these both related? Why only here? Is it me?? What's happening??? I made a nice donation last November, then my avatars, though praised by Sobo and others, get lambasted by a few squeaky wheels and things begin to fall apart. Maybe I need to get a Mac or upgrade to Firefox. Maybe I need to post more TR's. Maybe I just need to ignore my company and just post in spray all day long.

So, I got rid of the avatars...what else? More money? Any advice??

:brew: