Red Rocks Nov 3/4

Sherri

Anyone going to be down there w/flexible plans or room for a third? My partner for Monday may not be able to make it, and it looks like Tuesday is still wide open for me if someone needs a safe, happy partner for some moderate trad.

I'll have rack, a 70m rope and my own transport/accommodation.

PM me if you're interested! :wave:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All ya'll poseuers better get right on this offer! Sherri's a righteous partner and pulls her own weight, plus yours! And her Westfalia is the bitchin'est cruising vehicle evuh!

And you can help her celebrate her birthday, too! What's not to like? :moondance:

Looking ahead, I will be there in February for a wedding on the 21st and am hoping to get a few days at RR. I will try to hook up with some of my old climbing partners from way back in the day but it would also be great to have some options. I'm really looking forward to getting on some of the classics again. Hope the weather will cooperate then as it can be pretty cold that time of year.

Thanks for the stokey, Sobo! :rocken:

Argus, I'm trying to get there often as possible while the wedder is good, so it's possible I'll be back there sooner rather than later. When are you going?

I'm going down Friday the 7th through Wednesday the 12th. I've got partners for the 8th and 9th, but not the 10th and 11th.

I'm going down Friday the 7th through Wednesday the 12th. I've got partners for the 8th and 9th, but not the 10th and 11th.

Darn it, Argus, I don't think I can swing that one. :( Earliest I'm able to get back down there is the 13th. Was worth a shot though, so thanks for the chance. Hope you have fun!

Denali, we've gotten mixed weather there in Feb. February RR trip report. I think the key may be to allow enough time for both good and bad, so you're not completely washed out if it's cold or wet for a couple days.

I'm sure we'll try again this Feb, though, so let's cross fingers for the best! Would be cool to catch you there! :wave:

Denali, we've gotten mixed weather there in Feb. February RR trip report. I think the key may be to allow enough time for both good and bad, so you're not completely washed out if it's cold or wet for a couple days.

I'm sure we'll try again this Feb, though, so let's cross fingers for the best! Would be cool to catch you there! :wave:

I'll only be there in Feb to be in a buddies wedding. I used to live there in the early 90's and we were able to climb quite a bit in Feb, but ya never know. I'm hoping to get on some of the sunny classics. I'll be hunting for partners a few weeks ahead. I've also been trying to track down some old partners from back in the day too. Pretty sure Wendell, "The Dean", is still climbing. He must be in his early 70's now, but last time I saw him around 2000, he said his goal was to lead 5.13 by his 65th birthday. I think he was 64 then.

I'll be hunting for partners a few weeks ahead. I've also been trying to track down some old partners from back in the day too. Pretty sure Wendell, "The Dean", is still climbing. He must be in his early 70's now, but last time I saw him around 2000, he said his goal was to lead 5.13 by his 65th birthday. I think he was 64 then.

Small world....I bumped into Wendell(Broussard) at the Desert Rock climbing shop this spring. Don't actually know if he is still climbing, but when I saw him looked fit as a fiddle and I wouldn't doubt if he was still at it. He was most helpful in pointing us in the direction of a couple good routes to try on that trip.

I've had the good fortune to regularly climb with a few of the old guard from there, and most times, THEY are waiting for ME to catch up(and that's just on the approaches. :blush: ) Tough breed, they are, and a total inspiration.

When he was not climbing, Wendell was pretty much a regular at DRS when I lived in Vegas. I think I noticed you mentioned Joanne in a few of your TRs, is that the famous Joanne Urioste, who put up some of the many classics back in the 70s-80s? If so, cool to hear she is still hard at it. I'm going through her old, tattered original guide book for RR right now. Funny, I only gave 1 star to Dream of Wild Turkeys, now I remember it as one of my all time favorites. Probably to cold for the Velvet Wall in Feb though. Must have done that one about a dozen times. But I digress...

Dave_leading_Dream_of_Wild_Turkeys_RR_NV1.jpg

Well,it IS Red Rocks, so one can easily understand why it would be hard to hang up the harness. ;)

Those little red guidebooks have been reprinted, BTW. The new editions are white, though. (Sounds like you've worn out your copy!)

Dream of Wild Turkeys is on my ticklist. :tup: Just gotta work up the grades a bit more....

Despite tweaking my shoulder last week, I'll be down starting on the 15th staying on the strip and most likely pulling pockets on area Limestone.

Anybody climb any of the longer Jay Smith stuff that was put up in protest of the 3-4 or so very popular Black Velvet Wall routes?

There's also still endless FA opportunities in most all of the canyons for those so inclined. You could go down and easily do a new route every day if you just walked 2/3s of the way back in First Creek or went up to the second higher tier of lines. Ditto for Mt. Wilson - plenty of good stuff available from almost all sides.

Edited by JosephH

I love Jerry's book. :tup:

There have been many times when I have arrived at a crag(or trail intersection) and found folks looking confused trying to match up something in the other guidebooks. When I whip out Jerry's book for them to consult or compare to, the problem is always solved. I suspect he has sold more than a few books via this scenario. It speaks for itself.