Mt Fuji in December?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed Fuji the last week of December in 2005. It wasn't easy. You can count on no crowds and bad conditions. In the summer I think you catch a bus to the 5th station but in winter the road is often blocked at the base of the mountain. I hiked from the Kawaguchiko train station. At a good pace it still took 3 full days to summit and return to the train station. Although if you catch a taxi to the end of the road you can save yourself about 6-10 miles but it will set you back some cash, $50 if I recall correctly.

When I was there the mountain didn't have much snow cover. I think the typical snow cone doesn't form until later in the winter. I had cold temperatures and very strong gusts in the evening on the summit ridges. I actually bivied on the summit due to the high winds. It was miserable. I didn't see any other climbers or trekkers over 3 days. Supposedly summiting on New Year's Eve or NYD is popular to catch the first sunrise from the top so there ought to be some locals that have reliable beta. However don't look for first hand knowledge at the visitor information center - they'll tell you that the mountain is closed and it is impossible to climb until next summer.

Good luck.

Due to my work, I'm in Tokyo 4-5 times a month and did Fuji summer time, but before main hiking/climbing season starts (July 1st)

During main season, buses run directly from Shinjuku in Tokyo to Gotemba (trailhead)

Outside of the main season, you'll have to get by 2-3 trains to Kawaguchko (small town) Then taxi (about $200) if you are able to go all way to Gotemba+park fee if they are even there.

About a mile or so from Gotemba, there is a climbers "Ryoken" old style hotel (no heat, fire pit in the middle, tatami) But, I do not know if its manned in the winter. To save on costs, you should propably get a partner or partners. No one there will speak English, like they do in Tokyo. If you hit it right, the weather in winter is mostly sunny and cold; so perfect!

Gambatte kudasai!

www.frozenimage.net

• 1 month later...