Climbing in So Cal?

jmo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into the sandstone between Ventura and Ojai, can you give more info.

Still looking at the stuff on Stoney point

Malibu creek looks good, maybe I'll go there.

Anyone have any info on Joshua tree or the San Bernardino N.F.?

Edited by jmo

There's some really fun sandstone between Ventura and Ojai.

eh? the climbings all past Ojai. Checkout the Sespe River gorge:

http://www.stephenpratt.net/Ojai/SespeGorge/SespeGorge.htm

or Wheeler Gorge:

http://www.tradgirl.com/areas/ca/wheeler.shtml

closer in there's assorted things not really worth the effort. In general in Ventura/Santa Barb go surfing. Surfing >>>>> Climbing there, especially at this, the best fucking time of the year

San Berdoo Nat forest crags are basically concentrated near Big Bear and are pretty high elevation (Holcomb Valley pinnacles is one of the areas)...maybe 7000ft or so. Mostly sport climbing there and not really conducive to TRing, plus the road in is tight and messed up...you need a 4x4 with good clearance unless you come in the really long way. Anyway, I'd say skip that stuff it will probably be pretty chilly up there.

Big Rock in the Lake Perris State Rec area has a bunch of 200ft slab routes that you could access the top of by scrambling up the left side. See pic below

106126431_medium_addeb9.jpg

IIRC Stony Pt burned not too long ago, mostly bouldering but there is some easily TR'ed stuff and it's pretty decent climbing.

Malibu Creek could work. Not too bad to access if you're already in LA proper.

Tons of info on Josh, check out Todd's site at joshuatreeclimb.com He has a list of good TR climbs and a free pdf guide to them. http://www.joshuatreeclimb.com/TopRopes/topropes.htm

Suicide could work since there are some walk offs you could access the top like around the northeast wall area (Flower of High Rank etc).

Really depends on how long/far you want to drive and the temps and type of climbing you like.

There is a place at Big Bear called Castle Rock that has some fun easy to moderate climbs that can be lead or toproped. Also, Mt. Rubidoux has lots of fun bouldering but lots to toprope as well. Have fun!! I miss the climbing but I don't miss anything else about so cal.