[TR] Mount Rainier NP - Tatoosh traverse 10/26/2008

Alpine_Tom

Trip: Tatoosh traverse

Date: 10/26/2008

Trip Report:

Met up with Brad C. and we did the 'standard' Tatoosh Traverse: Pinnacle, The Castle, Fosse and Unicorn.

We weren't sure what the conditions would be like, whether there'd be ice up high or what, but it was just fine. There's a few inches of snow on the flats, and some of the places along the ridge the snow obscures the trail (not like you really need a trail) but it was great. Totally beautiful weather, not a cloud in the sky, but just hazy enough that we couldn't really make out Hood to the south.

It didn't take nearly as long as I'd expected: we hit the trail around 7:30, and were coming back down off Unicorn by 2:00.

We could easily have tagged another peak or two: Border Peak or Stevens but didn't really see the need.

A fun day; it makes me want to go back in the winter!

Pictures at:

http://home.comcast.net/~tbreit/tatoosh.htm

Gear Notes:

Trail shoes. I had hiking poles, which my pore ole knees need these days. There are rap anchors on top of Unicorn and The Castle, but downclimbing isn't really a problem. Didn't need rock shoes.

Approach Notes:

We went in on the Pinnacle saddle trail, by Reflection lake, and came out on the Snow Lake trail. I'd very strongly recommend doing the other direction, because coming down those boulders down to Snow Lake is really tedious. I think it'd be a lot easier to go up that direction, and then have the nice hike out on the Pinnacle trail.

Lots of scree heading up Unicorn, and a LOT of loose rock up above that, up to where it flattens out. It'd be easier to go up the snow, which was pretty firm.

Edited by Alpine_Tom

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic