Sehome Hill Bouldering = Worthless Garbage

Choada_Boy

Time must have blotted out my memories of what an un-Godly mound of shit the bouldering at Sehome Hill is.

Having virtually no life, I guess, I spent a good part of the day wandering around the worthless heaps of mung that pass for "problems" and was shocked to find what people would chalk up for. Example: I spotted one "cliff" from the road and hiked up to find a single ridiculously chalked bucket hold about three feet off of the ground and surrounded by a sea of moss and sand. Was the problem to lay on your back in the dirt and do a side-ways one arm front lever?

That being said, doing laps on the Stone Circles sculpture is a great way to get a burn, and the trail running on the hill is great, but never go there with climbing in mind: it sucks.

Edited by Choada_Boy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being his usual, understated self, Chaoda Boy minces his words.

Folks, this place blows hard, it is irretrievably lame, it is laughable to even call this place a bouldering area.

It is only due to the immense amount of male hormones running rampant through the campus that there is even chalk on this heap.

Further, it is blasphemous to the climbing community to even go here with the intent to climb. You belittle yourself, showing your mad, gnashing angst for "real" rock to even touch this crumbling choss with a chalked hand.

I found an online guide that spoke of the "best problems" on the hill. When I found them, I literally laughed out loud, they were such a pile of worthless shit. I'm tempted to take a grease gun up there and un-ruin the place. Did I mention that the trail running is great?

Give us a link. I'd love to take a look for memories sake as in my Bellinghamster days I used to go up there desperately looking for climbable rock. Larrabee was always a good time though.

I found an online guide that spoke of the "best problems" on the hill. When I found them, I literally laughed out loud, they were such a pile of worthless shit. I'm tempted to take a grease gun up there and un-ruin the place. Did I mention that the trail running is great?

Give us a link. I'd love to take a look for memories sake as in my Bellinghamster days I used to go up there desperately looking for climbable rock. Larrabee was always a good time though.

The Unholy Abomination

Check out "Two Stones to the Future" for a mouthful of vomit.

Oh Gawd! I had a flashback to a drunken night I'd wish I hadn't remembered. Sehome rocks if completely drunk and/or stoned. Otherwise, well, there at least is Boundary Bay!

Yep, I've had good times running late night laps on that one popular top rope route. That was one of the first places I ever climbed, but it got old quick.

so did you all of the sudden expect shangri-la?

well, the one thing your not going to find up on the hill is a bunch of easy quality problems.

and that's where many bellinghamsters affair with the zone ends; a little looksey, dissapointed with the lack of moderates and/or scared of the sloper highballs.

for those with a bit of strength and a few pads its a decent hang with good temps, solitude, and some badass slopers. it's a great area as a quick hit in-between classes at western. also a nice diversion when your tired of eliminating more holds from the same tired-ass problems at larrabee. often a stoned hippie or two from the fairhaven college wandering around, willing to share...

same guide(updated with v grades): drtopo

sure, half the stuff in the guide you'll never find, and another quarter won't be worth climbing, but, if you can make it over choada boy's piles of vomit go check out:

brain cancer V4

the full monty V7

woo V3:

traverse2.jpg

the sehome traverse V6

the three stones of wisdom are worth a session

stitches V1

unnamed V2 at the turtle area:

sehomeBouldering.jpg

some strong boulderers from seattle and ltown checked it out this summer and were surprised at the quality of some of the harder and scarier sloper lines.

the beauty of sehome hill lies in the eye of the beholder, and if you live in the ham you ain't got much rock to hold on to...

Thanks Sol. At least somebody came to it's defense. There are definitely some quality problems at SH. Too many haters around here. Thus good problems go unclimbed and overgrown...

http://www.0friction.com/image.php?image_id=11280

http://www.0friction.com/image.php?image_id=11276

Wow. two decent boulder problems...is that the best you could come up with. :wazup:

Hater? Yeah. I lost 30 pounds when I left the wet world of the 'Ham. The nearest decent gym is Seattle or Vancouver..

Oh, and when do you get to climb these problems? 3 months out of the year when you should be enjoying other areas?

I mean, the place is surrounded by trees and moss, and rains 8 months out of the year. "overgrown" - what do you expect?

While I wouldn't say "high-quality problems," I wouldn't give it such a terrible rap either. I come from a place where the only things rock-like to climb are brick arches scattered around the city. It's nice to be able to walk 15 minutes, hop on a boulder and not have to run when the cops show up.

What is with boulderers being such haters?

"You got it dude!"

"Totally... that wasn't a V4 though, it was like, a V5 at least."

Just be happy being outside.