Climber's Reel

rmncwrtr

This is a total mommy boast post!

My three kids dressed up as climbers today and competed in a costume reel during an Irish Dance feis (competition) today. Irish dance is what they do in the show Riverdance if you don't know what it is.

The kids wore their harnesses and helmets and were tied together with a rope. The always generous Bill Coe loaned me a shorter rope since mine was too long and heavy for them.

I let them pick out their own climbing clothes. This to my son meant his BARK T-shirt (Mt. B Avalanche Rescue K9s) and a pair of shorts. My five year old wore a pink t-shirt and flowered capris. My 10 yo wore spandex capri length leggings, a fitted t-shirt and a fleece zip up vest. Turned out to be pretty much their normal climbing apparel!

I had my littlest one wear her pink princess backpack with a teddy bear hanging out of it (remember the opening of Cliffhanger.) She was on the sharp end of the rope, a good place for her since she's our future rope gun. My oldest danced in the middle. My son was on the other end, wearing my BD ATC with the remainder of the rope around his shoulder and chest. I'm totally biased, but they looked so cute! A few people asked if they were really climbers to which they replied with a resounding "YES!"

My 10 yo choreographed the dance. It had them reaching up for holds and wiping sweat from their foreheads while dancing reel steps.

They tied for 5th! A great showing with the size of the competition.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...