stupid Safeway

marylou

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to get some provisions for my fly fishing trip this weekend. Had to interact with around 20 Safeway employees who wanted to say hi, ask me if they could help me find anything, or just generally get in my face with excessive cheerfulness and obnoxious false platitudes.

I'm not sure why Safeway's policy is "harass every customer"--as if that stupid card they make ya carry's not enough....

Take 30 aspirin and slit your wrists you pathetic whiner. When you complain about people being nice, you know you have a problem; a problem that can only be solved with chemicals and sharp knives.

:rolleyes:

I concur with Marylou.

I just went to get some provisions for my fly fishing trip this weekend. Had to interact with around 20 Safeway employees who wanted to say hi, ask me if they could help me find anything, or just generally get in my face with excessive cheerfulness and obnoxious false platitudes.

I'm not sure why Safeway's policy is "harass every customer"--as if that stupid card they make ya carry's not enough.... :wazup:

Luv ya babe, really, but...I think you should just enjoy "the aloha" and pretend it's real (because at least some of it might be). Ever been to the U.K.? Alot of the "lower-end" employees have what one might call "English shop-minders syndrome", i.e.. they just want you to get the heck out of there because they're paid minimum wage and you're bothering them. A friendly greeting from a Safeway employee might be the happiest thing you get all day....don't second-guess them...some of them are happy to see you because you be indirectly paying their salary.

Enjoy the Safeway card, or go to Fred Meyer's where they give you the discount even if you don't buy the advertised 10 for $10.

Have fun fly-fishing, although, in my opinion, fresh-water fish ain't worth eatin'.

shalom,

- "Dwayner"

Don,

You had me at "luv ya babe". :grin:

But besides that, Slaveway employees are unionized and could negotiate that BS away if they chose to.

At Fred Meyer, the grocery workers are union and the rest of them are not. I shop accordingly.

Fresh water fish are worth eating if the water is cold enough (like in the high lakes), but otherwise, it's all for fun! I don't eat those fish, I play with them.

I'm not sure why Safeway's policy is "harass every customer"--as if that stupid card they make ya carry's not enough.... :wazup:

167143327_7312cfccd3.jpg

I used to shop at a QFC in Ballard where they had a similar "courtesy" schtick, but it seemed to be more concentrated at checkout. It would drive me nuts, waiting in line while the checkers were chatting away with every customer who came along and delaying the whole process both of scanning the groceries and receiving the pin code or bagging the goods. However, I have a lot of older clients who live in the neighborhood and they routinely used to comment on how they LOVED going to that QFC because everyone there was so friendly.

I will avoid places that are really slow, but the other end of the spectrum can also be annoying. At Trader Joes in the U district, for example, they rush you through there pretty quick but you gotta play bumper carts with all the other hurried shoppers who push their carts aggressively and then stand three deep in front of the meat case, unsure of what to buy until they compare pennies per ounce.

I had one of those Safeway cards, but lost it long ago and of course did not use a real phone number. Now, when the computerized register shows one of those dots that signifies a card related discount, I just enter the phone number 360 555-1212 and smile when they say "thank you Mr. Varela" even though the debit card says White.

Hah, Tony Varela even got me a 50 cent per gallon discount on gas the other day. Thanks man.

I had one of those Safeway cards, but lost it long ago and of course did not use a real phone number. Now, when the computerized register shows one of those dots that signifies a card related discount, I just enter the phone number 360 555-1212 and smile when they say "thank you Mr. Varela" even though the debit card says White.

Hah, Tony Varela even got me a 50 cent per gallon discount on gas the other day. Thanks man.

Strike one.

They don't need your real name and phone number. They just want to track your buying profile so that they know to put beer in the same aisle as Pampers.

Way to stick it to the man.

Edited by bstach

:rolleyes: The only way to stick it to the man is to brew your own beer from alder bark and felt your own diapers from cottonwood fluff. I'm just happy to not have another plastic card in my wallet and score the occasional unearned bonus at the gas pump. Everything you purchase is tracked at the store, that's part of the point of checkout scanning. If it means they continue to stock Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, well, I'm okay with that. If I can get a discount, so much the better. :brew: