stupid Safeway

marylou

I just went to get some provisions for my fly fishing trip this weekend. Had to interact with around 20 Safeway employees who wanted to say hi, ask me if they could help me find anything, or just generally get in my face with excessive cheerfulness and obnoxious false platitudes.

I'm not sure why Safeway's policy is "harass every customer"--as if that stupid card they make ya carry's not enough.... :wazup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The provision of "high quality customer service" has created an entirely new class of servants in America. Those servants then expect the same from other servants when they clock out. It's a mutually reinforcing system of making life hell for everyone.

I just went to get some provisions for my fly fishing trip this weekend. Had to interact with around 20 Safeway employees who wanted to say hi, ask me if they could help me find anything, or just generally get in my face with excessive cheerfulness and obnoxious false platitudes.

I'm not sure why Safeway's policy is "harass every customer"--as if that stupid card they make ya carry's not enough.... :wazup:

Take 30 aspirin and slit your wrists you pathetic whiner. When you complain about people being nice, you know you have a problem; a problem that can only be solved with chemicals and sharp knives.

They are the only grocery near my house that has a bakery and deli--keep in mind I was shopping for a camping/fishing trip and Slaveway's often a good choice for that. Rarely do I go there otherwise.

Akhalteke, I don't know who you are, but slamming me for not liking being bugged at Safeway's pret-ty lame. Why not stick to what they cover on Fa(u)x News and working on learning how to spell "manifest"....

Apparently in Switzerland it's up to the customer to approach the proprietor. In fact it's rude not to speak to the shopkeep.

While here in America, a supposed democracy, we expect to be (and are expected to) wait on each other hand and foot. Why?

Edited by prole

Customs, even if not followed, show something about how people are expected to treat each other.

I had a stand off in MEC the other day trying to get help. What is the eye contact/ body language code for "I would like help"?! They need stations with a help wanted light like on airplanes. That place seems to be hopelessly understaffed. I've had few good customer service experiences there unless I actually knew the person.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine for many years too. Every time I go to Safeway I am bombarded by very fake, patronizing greetings from every employee. I certainly understand the idea, but when it is so forced and obvious that the employee has to do it, "or esle"... It just seems so phony and fake but that's corporate America for ya.

Imagine how the workers feel about it. They've got "secret shoppers", surveillance cams, and departmental "team leaders" watching them to make sure they're meeting those customer service (harassment) goals.

I "used" work at REI when it was a cool place to work. Then it got realy big and corporate. Big brother was watching and we started to get "secret shoppers" monitoring if we asked if they were a member, and if they needed help. Get dinged if we did not "upsale" an item. Direct them were to go.

Most customers were realy turned off by this. When I go in there I just want to buy what I came for and leave. I dont need every employee asking "are you a member".

I quit and looked for employment eslewhere.

Safeway (and others) was told this kind of customer service will bring in the customers. Instead it has drove them away.

Marylou...I am with you. Fuck Safeway.

I dislike the Walmart of outdoor shopping (REI). Nevertheless I do get into situations where they are the only option.

When I go in there I just want to buy what I came for and leave. I dont need every employee asking "are you a member".

Once I needed freeze dried food for a long bc ski trip. I had to get it that day. No problem I figure. I'd just go to Outdoor and More and pick some up. They had none, but REI was close. I wet there, walked in, and grabbed what I wanted. At the check out the cashier as me, "Are you an REI member?" I said no. Then I got a long speech about how I really should join. In the end I told the woman, "I want to buy this food. I need it now and you are the only quick source, but I hate REI and never want to join. That made the rest of the transaction go quickly and smoothly.