Amandla

RideT61

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i beleive sonnie trotter sent it, i'm sure others have to. ben g added an extension to it about a year ago that clocks in at 13+R, The Full Amandla:

"The extension adds 40 feet of climbing and tackles hard climbing passing the original anchor, pulls the center of the next roof ,and finishes with tenuous sidepulls. Aside from the new fix sport anchor at the top, I only added one bolt just over the lip of the roof. There is at least one good RP placement just prior to the final crux. I've led the entire thing without the RP, but it was scary. Parties can lower with 70m rope."

I haven't done it. But I know its been done at least 5 times and those are the ones I'm aware of so probably been done more...

If your so keen to give it a go... you can setup a top rope by doing full iron horse. But you have to be able to do the start to numba ten to even consider amandla....

Edited by eric8

If your so keen to give it a go... you can setup a top rope by doing full iron horse. But you have to be able to do the start to numba ten to even consider amandla....

LOL, I'm not keen to do it. I can't even do the moves in my dreams. I just think it is a cool looking route and was curious to know if it got climbed often.

I haven't done it. But I know its been done at least 5 times and those are the ones I'm aware of so probably been done more...

you do not need to climb the .12a full iron horse...from the low sag anchors you can reach over to the anchor...

Amandla... The ascent chronology to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah, Power Horse is a great option at realistic 12c.

- Andy DeKlerk

- Mike Orr

- Justen Sjong

- Hawk Berry

- Ben Gilkison w/ extension

- Sonnie Trotter

- Andrew Philbin w/ extension

Edited by bigwallben

As temperature and relative humidity increase, performance on Amandla decreases.

The comparison of the two routes is one of apples and pygmy marmocettes; regardless, my experience with the routes is certainly the opposite to Hawk's.

The Amandla requires technical wizardry while Chronic requires requisite power endurance. Each route was certainly a challenge for me.

Hawk sometimes has strange adhesive powers over small granite footholds.

Edited by soulreaper

Thanks Rudy. Yeah, I thought there was Mike Orr in there, but, I wasn't sure. RyanB, regarding ratings...well, it depends on lots of stuff, but in regards to the route at hand, probably the two most important factors are temp's and sequence. I believe that the route received a split grade because it is possible to climb onto Iron Horse just after pulling over the steep bulge. This would effectively give the climber a ticket to rest (almost no hands) for infinity. It never occured to me to climb it this way. The path I followed kept me in a direct line with the arete and the bolts that protect it. However, recently I did Power Horse 12c which links Iron Horse into the arete of Amandla; so, I suppose I could have done Amandla this way. Regarding Chronic, I dunno. I can do that thing like 5 times in a row. I had amandla just as dialed and probably couldn't do it on command. But, those climbs are polar opposite.