Noob all the way here. Quick question.

Josie'sMt.

Greetings, I was guided to this site on another forum. It looks to be a great place.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with Arcteryx products. I have an Arcteryx ski parka I'm pretty well satisfied with, but I'm looking for a mountaineering oriented coat, and am interested specifically in their Alpha SV model. Anyone use it? What do you think? In what circumstances do you use it most or least?

Thanks and great to find a new sandbox to play in. I (usually) play nice. :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think arc'teryx makes good stuff, but its very expensive (for me) and I've never needed anything like that while climbing in the cascades.

I have a cheap ($80) Northface "Hyvent" shell that I use (rarely) all over the cascades, winter or summer. Most of the time, a hard-shell jacket is just too warm while climbing.

It keeps snow off of me allright, as well as anything else. And if it's raining, I'm going home. If it's windy, most soft-shells are windproof, and breath way better.

I dunno, I guess people will prob disagree with me, and i'm sure it's a nice jacket, but I use a much cheaper one and I've never had a problem.

What do you want from your shell? Water protection? Wind protection?

Thanks Rob, for the reply.

I don't mind warm, as I have a tough time keeping warm as it is. But yes, a hardshell can certainly be "too much."

I want versatility for layering, as well as cold/wind/moisture protection.

I'm with you though, their stuff is hugely expensive so I'm always on the lookout on eBay. I just won't fork out $600 smackers for a jacket, even if I could. As it is, an Alph SV will still set you back a minimum of $300 to $400. Ouch. However, if people like it, and it's a great product that lasts, and is highly useful/versatile for alpine ascents, I'm considering it.

Thanks again.

What rob said. That said, I often still use my hardshell as a windbreaker or while resting. It's got to be raining pretty hard or be pretty cold to use it while moving.

If you tend to be on the cold side, you should be able to just wear a long sleeve shirt and hardshell under alot of conditions.

Alot of people seem to like eVent fabric; I certainly do. It breathes much better than most stuff out there, and you can definately use it in a wider range of temps. I like the RAB stuff, and the price is way better than ArcTeryx stuff:

http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/rab_womens_latok_alpine_jacket

While you may not really NEED your hardshell very often here, it's pretty important to have something that works when you do need it.

REI's now making eVent jackets as well.