Obama will take away your guns!

rob

It has nothing to do with self defense for me and everything to do with balance of powers. Checks and Balances.

riiiight. yr AR-15 against the government's tanks, fighter planes, guided missiles, drone attack planes, kevlar jackets, armored humvees and automatic, belt-fed machine guns. You're only fooling yourself.

Sounds like a balance of power to me. :rolleyes:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checks and Balances.

but again, the guns out there aren't checking or balancing a damn thing, like joe said - the 82nd airborne can probably take on every gun-nut in the country together and come out just fine, no?

You mean like the entire Wehrmacht against a handful of Jews in Poland?

Doubtful the 82nd airborne would do that against their brothers and sisters. I'd look to any banana republic that has banned guns as a role model for the potential without them.

Checks and balances? It's time to start "checking" against the damage the republicans are doing to our republic.

I haven't seen the gun nuts exert ANY control over our runaway executive branch.

Nor will they, even if they COULD.

Checks and Balances.

but again, the guns out there aren't checking or balancing a damn thing, like joe said - the 82nd airborne can probably take on every gun-nut in the country together and come out just fine, no?

Doubtful the 82nd airborne would do that against their brothers and sisters. I'd look to any banana republic that has banned guns as a role model for the potential without them.

If they wouldn't do that against their brothers and sisters, then why do we need checks and balances? :crazy:

Checks and Balances.

exactly! recall how well the somalis did -- and they were mean, desperate mofos with real weapons.

if it ever comes to a real shoot-em-up, the only check there is on real soldiers with real weapons is if they simply refuse to do what the commander tells them to do.

so lets put this nra fantasy to rest please, and then go on with the adult work of working to reduce the number of senseless gun deaths in this country.

The gun nuts as presently composed are another wing of the State. Like kids from the 50's in coonskin caps and Roy Rogers outfits, these rent-a-cops and violence fetishists would jump at the chance to be deputized into "citizen's militias". Just point them at the "commies", "terrerisms" or "messicans" and watch 'em go! And watch every single right we have EXCEPT gun ownership go in the toilet.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

I heard he's also trying to take away pens, and wants to dumb down schools so people can't write their congressman.

I heard it's because he's an Ayrab, and we all know Ayrabs are against freedom. They hate us for our freedoms!

I am encouraged by the fact that Obama has proven himself to be quite intelligent (Harvard) and socially concerned (social work in the hoods of Chicago). He also came from a hard working family.

I think he has way more to offer than we have so far seen. The difference between a half-wit like GW and Obama being in office will be demonstated in more wokable long term policies. GW et al, had no sense for the long term. Just look at the economy, Iraq, Afganistan, and the fact that Osama is STILL out there somewhere. We were suppposed to be in an out of Iraq and Afg. We were supposed to go after the people who attacked us on 911 "regardless of borders or governments". We were supposed to be able to invest our Social Security $ in the stock market to reap the benefits of de-regulation.

DOH!

Bad President. Bad party direction.

I'd look to any banana republic that has banned guns as a role model for the potential without them.

I look to Yugoslavia as a role model for the potential with them. I worry far, far more about an ultra-nationalist administration using fear to 'deputize' my neighbors with guns to provide for 'law and order' and 'community policing'. Extend the tactics and intent of this administration out not all that far and back it up with two more wack jobs on SCOTUS and you have a far scarier potential for a rightwing take over of the country - and one that would likely be supported by the NRA than opposed by it.

I am encouraged by the fact that Obama has proven himself to be quite intelligent (Harvard) and socially concerned (social work in the hoods of Chicago). He also came from a hard working family.

I think he has way more to offer than we have so far seen. The difference between a half-wit like GW and Obama being in office will be demonstated in more wokable long term policies. GW et al, had no sense for the long term. Just look at the economy, Iraq, Afganistan, and the fact that Osama is STILL out there somewhere. We were suppposed to be in an out of Iraq and Afg. We were supposed to go after the people who attacked us on 911 "regardless of borders or governments". We were supposed to be able to invest our Social Security $ in the stock market to reap the benefits of de-regulation.

DOH!

Bad President. Bad party direction.

I think you've put your finger on it. Whereas our leadership for the past 8 years has tended towards pure ideology in crafting policy, I expect (from what i've seen and heard so far) an Obama presidency to reflect pragmatism and intelligence, and an ability to shift as perception and understanding evolve and change. Ideology will always be around, and it has its place, but it will no longer be the one and only criterion for 'what to do'.

Checks and Balances.

Yeeeaahhhh, OK.

I think checks and balances refers to the three branches of government, not to some lone kook dying in a hail of FBI gunfire. The militia think might have worked to overthrow the government the first decade or so of our history, but after that, fuggeddaboutit.

Besides, what gives you or anyone else the right to overthrow a democratically elected government? Kind of a totalitarian way of thinking, no?

Checks and Balances.

Apparently, you've never served in the military. Go wipe out some militia kooks doing violence against our government? Fuck.Yeah. First, you'd be branded a terrorist. Our boys and girls in uniform would then relish wiping your ass out.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Actually, Bill did serve in the military.

But I believe such things as a replay of the internment camps of WWII is not at all out of the question even for 'normal' Americans under the right circumstances. Divisiveness is not hard to take out to extremes and in that atmosphere have 'average' citizens responsible for inhuman behavior.

Hell, swap an epidemic for politics and you'd see some pretty drastic and ugly behavioral changes overnight.

Checks and Balances.

Apparently, you've never served in the military. Go wipe out some militia kooks doing violence against our government? Fuck.Yeah. First, you'd be branded a terrorist. Our boys and girls in uniform would then relish wiping your ass out.

No I wouldn't. I agree with him and there is that pesky Posse Comitatus thingy to deal with