where does one sport climb in december (USA)?

jesselillis

ive got some time off in december- about 10 days. i'd like to spend it climbing- i'll probably be out with a bunch of sport people, but trad recommendations also welcome (hell- water ice recommendations welcome, maybe i'll ditch that crowd)

where is not freezing?

joshua tree? red rocks? st. george? virgin river gorge?

or do i have to go texas or mexico?

thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd skip Josh, Dec is usually cold and very windy and not much there for the sport climber, plus the sport stuff there is concentrate in the 5.11-5.12+ range on sharp holds. What you could do, if you're into variety is go do a bit in Josh, spend a day at the southwest facing Riverside Quarry (not an inspiring setting, but the climbing is great...long sport routes on featured granite), do a day or two at New Jack City (sport on metamorphized basalt) where you can again chase the sun and if it's freakisly warm, do some stuff at the south facing Suicide, maybe creep over to Malibu Creek for a day of limestone sport or down to San Diego (Mt Woodson - best crack bouldering the US, Mission Gorge sport, others) for more variety.

VRG is just a shitty setting and can be pretty windy. I can't imagine going there as a destination unless you have some fetish for automobile exhaust and traffic noise.

Red Rocks would allow you to stay on the sunny aspects if you wanted, and you can always call in a late exit if you won't make it out before the gate closes. And, most of the sport stuff is close to the road anyway. There's always the Calico section that's outside the loop road too, plenty of sport routes and no gates/closing to worry about.

The Stronghold mixed in with other SoAz stuff (the low-lying stuff around Tuscon like Milagrosa Canyon sp?) could be an option.

Tennessee Wall is pretty prime in Dec, south facing, stacks of routes packed into a tight area, sport and trad. You could mix in amazing bouldering in that general zone..HorsePens 40, Rocktown, etc. Only drawback is it can be wet that time of year, and it's on the other side of the country.

Red Rocks would allow you to stay on the sunny aspects if you wanted, and you can always call in a late exit if you won't make it out before the gate closes. And, most of the sport stuff is close to the road anyway. There's always the Calico section that's outside the loop road too, plenty of sport routes and no gates/closing to worry about.

FYI, they only issue late exit permits for multi-pitch routes back in the canyons and the Angel Food Wall.

Haha..I tried to do Cochise in the summer and it was on fire....litterally on fire...I bet the winter is ideal..I don't think there is much sport climbing and it is WAY the hell out there...I don't remember the closest town, but it wasn't close.

Red Rocks would be best for a group, varied skill levels, good winter weather, and lots of sport climbing, plus it is close to amenities in Vegas.

If you're going to Vantage be prepared for heavy wind at times. Also be sure you've read up on the climbs and have the recommended pro for the routes you plan to do. Many of the climbs take larger size cams(4 or 5) or even Big Bros the closer you get to the top, as the stacked columnar basalt pillars tend to spread as you go up. And Vantage has its share or pretty crappy choss.

Back when I lived in Atlanta, we would climb nearly every weekend, even in Winter. In Chattanooga, there's the Tennessee Wall (mostly trad, and don't miss Shuford's BBQ). Nearby is Foster's Falls. Across the border in Alabama, there's Sandrock (aka Rock City) and the Little River Gorge. The Little River is a semi-secret location with hundreds of steep sport climbs, generally 5.11 and up, but they can be made easier if you just climb the first 80' before the roofs begin.