Steroids for Climbing?

Bronco

Thanks to a link from Courtney's website, I've been reading a weekly web magazine at Testosterone.com which is mainly for bodybuilders and power lifters but much of it is relevant to just fitness minded folks like me.

Anywho, it seems to be the consensus of many writers there that steroids can be used safely in moderation by someone who has researched the proper use and doseage. It also seems that most professional athletes are using steroids and other perfomance enhancing drugs and not dropping dead from it.

Say you get a chance to be on a expedition to some exotic Mountain Range, doing a couple of cycles of steroids will make you stronger (if you are working out in conjunction with the cycle) but is there a downside for mountaineers? Has there been any studies to suggest problems with altitude and steriod use? Are climbers already into performance enhancing drugs with sucess and I haven't heard about it?

Personally I don't think I'll ever do any climbs beyond what I can train for natrually, but, I am curious about the subject.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bronc,

If I might interject a few words here: we don't endorse everything on other web sites included as Body Results links, steroids being one. While it's healthy to have a curiosity about such subjects, for one's own education, it was certainly not our intention to say to any of our readers that "steroids are acceptable." We don't recommend use of them for anyone due to the sometimes severe side effects and long term consequences. I'm not aware of any studies on climbers per se, so it's certainly an interesting intellectual exercise. While I cannot steer you one way or another, I'd suggest that for anyone seriously thinking about using, they do MUCH more research and talk to people who have actually used before embarking on that route. If I see anything on the subject I'll certainly remember to post it where I saw it first: here. My $.02.

[ 11-14-2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Courtenay ]

Bronco, if you're serious about using substances (aside from the inhaled kind) for improving your climbs, steroids are NOT the answer.

Steroids can help you push your natural limitations in acquiring muscle mass. But to reach your natural limit could take years - with proper nutrition and intelligent training you can make steroid like gains for quite some time. Most often steroids are used for very fast results by people who want to get huge and have little or no understanding of how the body grows. The recommendations by T-mag for "safe" use of roids is by well-informed individuals who have spent many years training naturally.

But I serously doubt you want to add *more* weight to your body mass. Most climbers would probably want to drop body fat, i.e. reduce their weight. Following T-mag's nutritional and training advice can surely accomplish this without illegal drugs. And you do *NOT* have to be a 'bodybuilder' per se to benefit from their knowledge. You don't have to be focussed on asthetic values to improve your physique.

If you want a kick in the pants for your climbing prowess, try their supplements (they own Biotest). I've been using them for years.

Here's my secret weapon for an unbelievable boost in the morning:

2 servings Power Drive (increases focus and neurotransmitter response to your muscles), 200mg caffeine (either from coffee, No Doze, whatever - try Twin Labs Ripped Fuel, serious stuff). Then for lunch and after finishing for the evening take a serving of Surge for recovery.

A supplement to take regularly (i.e. not just while climbing) is Tribex 500 and M. Your testosterone and libido will go into overdrive.

Also, cheapest place I've found to buy them is dpsnutrition.com