How to Strengthen Knees?

STORER

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A orthopedic doctor once told me that most knee problems come about from a muscle imbalance. So your balanced excercise program is a good base. He recommended that to balance the muscles, do leg extensions but only the last 45 degrees till full extension. He said not to do the extension from a 90 to 45 degree bend, only the last 45 degrees.

From my experience, superfeet help with the knees as well. Something about the way the arch is suported.

Mixed reviews about those supplements like glucosamine and the like. But common sense says keep the knees lubricated by staying very hydrated during all parts of your climbing trips. Americans tend to be dehydrated during the week as well which can't help, so try to stay hydrated during the week too.

Lastly, four words. ski poles & light packs.

Steve,

Check out the link here to do a simple test: http://www.bodyresults.com/E2kneetest.asp Step downs, step ups, squats (with proper form!!), deadlifts, lunges, dips and the like are all great options; free weight-type exercises or body weight resistance are preferable for climbers and skiers than most machines, as you want strength that will be helpful in your sports, not just on a machine that supports your weight and guides you in one track only. In my experience with numerous climbing clients, leg extensions are perhaps the LEAST preferred way to strengthen the quads, and a version of the squat the MOST preferred (that may be partial range, light weight, wide stance, or maybe even up against a wall as in a skier squat). Here are some more ideas on the Body Results pages for knee issues, trekking poles, and exercises:

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2patellofemoral.asp

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2kneeinjuries.asp

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2trekkingpoles.asp

http://www.bodyresults.com/S2postseason1.asp

This last link takes you to a "post-season" workout that was designed to help climbers balance out the whole lower body -- it could be that your hamstrings, glutes or inner quads (the vastus medialis obliquus, or VMO) are weak, and post-season is the time to strengthen them. Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by Courtenay:

And if you can't stand biking, don't have a bike, don't have access to a friend's or family menber's bike, or if it hurts to bike, then try the other suggestions here. C'mon guys, biking AIN'T the solution to all knee ailments! some maybe, but not ALL!

What about cycling, Courtenay? [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

Would you agree, however, that biking is a lower impact way to strengthen versus trail or road running?

I used to run between 70-100 miles per week. I now bike about 90 a week. My knees feel much better, but I am not even close to same fitness level I used to be in.

I would agree that biking is a good cross-training alternative to running, yes, and certainly is a great non-impact option while strengthening the hips, hams and quads, but my quibble here is that cycling is NOT a "strength" exercise -- it's great for building cardiovascular endurance. However, running and biking are BOTH quad builders, so to help with any imbalances, you need to include exercises that are NOT just quad builders. Make sense?

quote:

Originally posted by Highlander:

quote:

Would you agree, however, that biking is a lower impact way to strengthen versus trail or road running?

I used to run between 70-100 miles per week. I now bike about 90 a week. My knees feel much better, but I am not even close to same fitness level I used to be in.

You're just getting old, Highlander.

Sure, Jon, they do -- BUT for someone who has knee issues, the impact of plyometric type exercises (both TRUE plyos, and the more popular skips, hops and jumps like you see in something like a ski conditioning class) may exacerbate the condition without appropriate strengthening ahead of time. I'd suggest any time you're working on a weakened area, start with light weight, work more on endurance (start with sets of 10 reps and build to 20) then increase the weight as form stays stellar and strength increases.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Highlander:

quote:

You're just getting old, Highlander.

I know, aging sucks! [Frown]

Yup, squats and their infinite variations, IF DONE PROPERLY, and hamstring exercises like stiff-legged deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, leg curls (this is the one nearly everyone is already familiar with; for imbalances, try doing these as 1-leg curls and make sure the legs are of even or comparable strength), glute ham raises, good mornings, back extensions, etc. etc. etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Courtenay:

Yup, squats and their infinite variations, IF DONE PROPERLY, and hamstring exercises like stiff-legged deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, leg curls (this is the one nearly everyone is already familiar with; for imbalances, try doing these as 1-leg curls and make sure the legs are of even or comparable strength), glute ham raises, good mornings, back extensions, etc. etc. etc.

Bikes are a great tool for performing these exercises.

If done properly, of course.

[ 10-17-2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Attitude ]

Bike, yes indeed, but if it hasn't been mentioned here already, remember to put those gears to work and spin.

Don't push big gears if you can possibly avoid it, tends to lead to knee injuries and it's inefficient to boot.

While there's no cadence that fits all cyclists all the time, using your gears to aim for a cadence of 70 or 80 rpm is a good goal; more experieced riders whirl in excess of 90 or even more.

And, off topic, how about this Segway thingie? Cool gyro technology and nice design, sure, but unless one has some physical challenge, permanent or temporary, how is this gizmo better than a bike?

Jonathan

Biking has done wonders for my knees. They used to ache and crack all the time. Since I've curtailed the running quite a bit to about 5 miles a week and upped the biking to 100+ per week, my knees feel infitinely better.

If you are looking to maintain balance between quads and hamstrings while biking, be sure to get clipless pedals and concentrate on pushing down _and_ pulling up. This not only helps improve your spin, but also keeps your leg muscles more balanced.

Greg