• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
sklag

stretch element vs. others...

Was looking at the Patagucci stretch element, but was wondering about the h2no stuff they use. How does it compare with lets say event, and or goretex? I guess what I'm asking is, "is this jacket worth the money?"

Absolutely love mine! Have beaten the shit out of it for two seasons, and yet no snags/tears/wear spots. At purchase it was down to the SE and the Alpha SV. Alpha SV was heavier, and felt stiffer with less ventilation options, opted for the SE and never looked back. Have never experienced any issues with water repelency or ventilation/breathability.

that's awesome! um, I'm just curious about the patagonia proprietary membrane and how breathable it has been for you? How do you use the jacket (skiing, climbing, etc...)?

I have the Stretch Latitude and I really like it. It has yet to allow water all of the way through even though its primary use was as a rain jacket. I found that it breathed quite well, mind you I tend to sweat a tad less than some, if I got hot skinning I would just unzip it all the way. The pit zips are nice, although as with most zips they don't actually do a whole lot. The hood fits a helmet great, but because of that, not very well if you don't have on a helmet. So far the only annoying thing I have come across was I got a grain or two of sand stuck in the bottom part of the zipper, so I couldn't actually get the jacket zipped up. It was a mad rush to get the sand out before the rain hit, because I could see it coming! Overall I suppose it was worth the 300 I spent.

that's awesome! um, I'm just curious about the patagonia proprietary membrane and how breathable it has been for you? How do you use the jacket (skiing, climbing, etc...)?

Breathability is as good as Goretex XCR, haven't used eVent so can't compare to it. The jacket has both pit zips and venting Napoleon pockets so I haven't had a problem with ventilation. I use the SE for in- and out-of-bounds snowboarding, splitboarding and ice climbing.