The Alpinist Gone!

montanapup

Alpinist LLC to Suspend Operations

Jackson, Wyoming — October 16, 2008 — Alpinist LLC, which publishes the climbing magazine Alpinist, runs the website www.alpinist.com and produces The Alpinist Film Festival, announced today that the October 2008 financial crisis has forced them to suspend operations.

Full details http://www.alpinist.com/

Website and link no longer functional at times. Bummer.

Edited by montanapup

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer. I guess I'm going to be screwed out of the balance of my 2-year subscription (about 1 year left as I recall).

Edit:

Despite my pecuniary focus/loss, I too am saddened the climbing community will be losing such a fine rag. Been subscribing since ed. 12.

Edited by Bigtree

Part of me is not surprised. But but on the other hand bummed as it was the only descent rag in USA.

One of the few the proud owners of 0-25.

Anyone need issue 8? Make me an offer.

If I get desperate (i.e. my stocks tank) I might sell a duplicate 0 and 1. In the time mean folks can temp me with some offers.

I'm more bummed I won't be reading any more new issues than I am losing two and half years' of paid subscription. From the beginning I wondered if Beckwith, et al would be able to make a good go of it, and I thought they were. Too bad for what has been one of the best climbing publications produced.

Great great magazine, next to National Geographic one of the best magazines in publication (well that I read anyways). Unfortunately they didn't have much business sense. Magazine aside, their website was very dynamic and must have been very expensive to run, my guess a $100k+ a year for development, and there was very little in the way of advertising. There was just no way they were making $10k/month in advertising. I heard from a very reliable source that they were asking upwards of $20/cpm (thousand ads) which is an insane asking price. They were simply offering something for less then it cost to make. Regardless sad day indeed.

Edited by jon

They've been a money-loser since issue 0. Great mag, could have been better (issue X was a low point) but having a sugar daddy to cover continual losses is not really a long term business plan.

I hope they get bought up by someone with experience running a long term viable publication.

I bought five or six issues of Alpinist at the newsstand and sure enough I spring for a subscription and it bites the dust. So I paid $48 for my copy of issue 25 I guess.

Alpinist is (and hopefully will continue to be) one of the finest periodical publications I've ever read.

This is a note on their blog for those of you who live in Jackson:

Posted by: alpinist

We're throwing a party for everyone who has ever worked for us tomorrow night [October 18th, 2008] at 760 E Broadway in Jxsn. If you're a reader, you should probably come too.

Bad news! I love the large format photos. Maybe Alpinist needed to appeal to a broader audience by adding an "Alpinists: They're just like us!" photo section or "Bivi hair do's and dont's!" or "Who's Hot and Who's NOT!"

Serisously, shame to see them go. Glad I bought up what I did. I'm glad they were able to squeak out the Yosemite edition at least.

The owner lost something like half his money between August and now. That couldn't help him choose to continue projects out of love...In August, they were talking about expanding and hired a bunch of new people.

I don't think their website cost them $100k a year. I really don't.

I'm not convinced their dead yet. Maybe I'm just hoping, but somehow, I'm thinking that they will get helped out by that bail out deal...

Damn it!!!

I paid $54 CDN for my issue number 25!

I just signed up a month ago and issue 25 just came to me in the mail on Friday.

Very sad to hear! What a great magazine. A good read from cover to cover with hardly any junk advertising.... :cry: And awesome photos!

If the 33% subscription sale was a way to recover for some of the loss by reaching into the pockets of new subscribers that is not super cool! Makes me wonder seen as how they must have known they were going to tank!