Coomba vs BC 100 vs Verdict: Let it spray...

chris

I want a pair of fat sidecountry boards. Weight is secondary to performance. Because of personal history and bias and poor research, I've narrowed the field down to three: K2's Apache Coomba; Karhu's BC 100; and BD's Verdict. They all sport a waist greater than 100mm but less than 110cm, and I'll be purchasing them in a 185-ish size. Whatever happens, one of these three skis is going to be saddled with a pair of Fritschi's.

So I'm looking for opinions - has anyone skied on any of these boards? Anyone made a similar decision? Anyone unhappy with on of these skis, or have another manufacturer that I just have to look at?

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a pair of LINE skis. www.lineskis.com I just got the Prophet 100s after ridding a pair of Prophet 80s for a number of years.

But out of those you listed, personally I would get the BDs; mind you I have never ridden any of them. I have a few friends who have the kilowatts and they love them, so it looks like the verdict is just a little bigger.

I have the Coomba mounted with Fritschi's I used about 20 times last year. They ski and tour well I have no complaints. They aren’t too heavy when strapped to the pack either.

I have not skied the others but you might want to also look at the Dynastar Legend Pro XXL. It is 109 under foot and you could get a great deal online for last years model. I think they retail for $1000 but can get them for just over $550. The 187's might be a little hard to find b/c standard length is 194.

I have the prior generation (foamcore) Verdict. They are a notch below ripper, imho. fun skis, but definitely have a top speed and so are more touring, imho. I have a pair of 1st generation Atomic Big Daddys 193cm, 107mm waist for ripping.... and errr... a pair of Bluehouse Shoots (191cm, 128mm in the mail.)

Closer to what you were looking at, Bluehouse Districts:

http://www.bluehouseskis.com/node/8

Ok, Here is my take on comparing these 3.

The BC 100 and the Line prophet are very similar (if you have had the chance to ski either) A nice generous flex and smooth ski. It is forgiving and predictable but may be a touch soft if the throttle is to the floor.

The Verdict is a different beast. After the change to CNC wood cores the whole BD line changed in skiin characteristics. The Verdict is much stiffer. Handles speed well and you can really open it up on big high speed turns. I find it a little stiff in tight terrain, so there is the trade off.

I skied the Coomba almost all year last year. I really enjoyed it. I found that it is forgiving in technical terrain. Floaty in the pow, and that it can handle some speed. I find it a little more predictable than the Verdict and is easier to scrub speed if needed. The tails are a little softer and the side cut a little less severe in the tail, which helps out with that. In other words I don't always accelerate out of the turn.

I have been finding that in bounds I like to push my gear. Out of bounds I like to push myself...

I hope that might help.

Fear,

You're right - that's why my other two pairs of skis are mounted with Dynafits. But these are going to be specifically for 50/50 in bounds and lift-accessed backcountry. So I'm less concerned with weight then performance. Since the Fritschi's are step-in bindings, I think they're also more suited for lift-accessed backcountry and in bounds skiing then Dynafits.

That's my plan at least - I'll let you know if it works!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, Here is my take on comparing these 3.

The BC 100 and the Line prophet are very similar (if you have had the chance to ski either) A nice generous flex and smooth ski. It is forgiving and predictable but may be a touch soft if the throttle is to the floor.

I believe the Line and Karhu products are identical; made by the same company, right?