Climber missing on Mt Adams

Jeff W

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to find out if Derek has been watching Man vs. Wild, the Bear Grylls program on Discovery. Bear seems to be eating grubs or other insects in nearly every episode. Maybe Bear Grylls could learn something from Derek's survival strategy.

what a nice surprise to get a happy finish. . .

Wow--those SAR folks really do go the extra mile!

Joking aside, mad props to all those who sacrificed their time and energy to bring this to a joyous conclusion and for the amazing will to survive at display in Mssr. Mamoyac (sp?).

Isn't it about time to hold some sort of fundraiser for our local SAR boys? Tis the season.

We are all very glad that Derek was found alive and for all intents and purposes, OK. But let's remember a few things: Derek had never climbed a mountain like Adams before, he didn't know where he was going (no map, compass, GPS, etc), he had to rent his gear (i.e., suggesting that he wasn't very experienced in its use), he went at not so great a time of year (there was some pretty serious weather up high that was easily forecasted), and he went alone. In short, he was very lucky to have been found alive, but I respect the fact that he did all he could to get himself down and out under his own power. I just hope he learned a valuable lesson.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment."

It would be interesting to find out if Derek has been watching Man vs. Wild, the Bear Grylls program on Discovery. Bear seems to be eating grubs or other insects in nearly every episode. Maybe Bear Grylls could learn something from Derek's survival strategy.

Bear Grylls is a fake.

I don't think Bear Grylls has done a show for survival in the mountains with a broken ankle.