Climber missing on Mt Adams

Jeff W

I heard on the radio this morning a climber is missing on Mt Adams. Report said he left alone on Saturday afternoon to summit (from Cold Springs) and planned to return at 3 AM. Sounded like he planned to return to the trail head at 3 AM. Seems like a goofy time to climb Mt Adams. At any rate, anyone heard more about this?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish Wrapper "...According to officials with the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, while the climb is not considered technically difficult, it takes anywhere from six to eight hours of climbing nearly 6,700 feet of vertical snow and rock to reach the summit."

And here I thought it was class I or II.

It all depends on how you space the commas...

:crazy:

From the Seattle Times...

YAKIMA — Searchers are intensifying efforts to find an Oregon man missing since Saturday on Mount Adams in Washington.

The Yakima County sheriff's office said Derek Mamoyac, 27, believed to be from the Corvallis area, left Saturday afternoon to climb the mountain, Family members contacted authorities Monday when he didn't return or show up for work.

A limited search began Monday. His car was found at the Cold Springs trailhead. One searcher reached the 8,000-foot level but did not see any sign of Mamoyac.

The 12,277-foot mountain is about 31 miles east of Mount St. Helens.

It would suck to be lost on a weekday since most SAR people vollenteers and would have to take off work.

We were called monday morning about this mission. I know of a handful of people that had already responded and were heading out there monday evening/night. School tied me down this week.

Hope everyone is doing well.

One time we left the parking area at 2pm for a quick run up the south side. We got to the top around 7pm. We figured we would get back to the car just after dark. Well, seems we misplaced the trail back to the parking area. It took us a couple of hours and lots of walking up and down the PCT before we found it in the dark. Got back to the car at 2am.

Of course this was summer. Hope the missing person shows up with a good tale.

I heard on the radio this morning a climber is missing on Mt Adams. Report said he left alone on Saturday afternoon to summit (from Cold Springs) and planned to return at 3 AM. Sounded like he planned to return to the trail head at 3 AM. Seems like a goofy time to climb Mt Adams. At any rate, anyone heard more about this?

Currently there are members from Seattle Mountain Rescue, Portland Mountain Rescue, Volcanoe rescue team and Central Washington Mountain Rescue, as well as the expected players from parks and Sheriffs Department.

Yesterday there were a number of teams comprised of members of all these groups scouring the mountain. As of sunset last night, no signs at all.

Trying to get work done and support rescue efforts has left me with 5 hours of sleep in the last 40....... back out there this evening.

Missing Person

The Yakima County Sheriff’s Office is assisting an Oregon family with a Search and Rescue Mission on Mt Adams within Yakima County. A 27 year old male left the Portland Oregon area late on Saturday the 11th to clime Mt. Adams. He was reported missing when he failed to show up for work on Monday the 13th. The missing subject’s car was located at the Cold Springs trailhead by Wilderness Rangers with the Mt. Adams Ranger District on Monday morning. Rangers from Mt. Adams Ranger District assisted Yakima County by checking the roads and other trail heads in the area. They also assisted by climbing the mountain up to the 8000 foot level and interviewing other climbers still on the mountain. King County Sheriff’s Office has also assisted by flying their helicopter in search patterns over the South Climb rout of Mt. Adams.

The Sheriff’s Office has requested additional manpower through the Washington Military Department Emergency Management Division to assist in the search. Yakima County’s Central Washington Mountain Rescue is at the trail head in preparation to continue the search at the time of this message.

Sgt. Jerrold Towell

Special Operations

Edited by summerprophet

Dang, I think thats the seach i got called out for on Tuesday but i am living in bothell and had school. They might have asked for help from Kittitas County.

Kittitas County has no mountain rescue team. There are atleast four of us in CWMR from Kittitas County. Always looking for experienced mountaineers to join us though.

Was there for the first 24 hours of the mission on Monday/Tuesday, headed there right after I got home from Rope-Up. The wind that first night was ferocious. You shoulda seen the lenticulars Monday afternoon. Crikey!

We had two dozen people from five different MR units on the mission that first day (CWMR, PMR, VRT, SMR, Hood River Crag Rats, plus groundpounders from Klickitat County SAR). I hardly call that a "limited search" from that Seattle Times rag's POV. :rolleyes:

Justin's been doing a helluva fucking awesome job up there, as well as have many others. To CollinWoods, the guy that talked about being lost midweek, all of us in MR do what we can, when we can. I took two days of vacation for this mission. It ain't about missing work. I've been at a mandatory conference for the past three days and have not been able to help out since Tuesday night. I'd still be at Adams if I could swing it.

This guy could be anywhere on that mountain, or even below treeline by now. I hope that this will all turn out with an epic tale for Derek to tell. But remember folks, the family could be reading this, so bear that in mind in your comments.

I got off route coming down the south spur back in the early 80s. Spent a few long hours wandering down into the treeline, trying not to panic. Finally found a trace road, followed it till it linked up to the road coming into Cold Creek. We were at least 4 miles below our car. I sure hope he holds on. Its bad terrain but there are some roads wandering around.

I did the same thing at around the same time on my very first time up the mountain. Ended up a few gullies west of the Crescent Glacier drainage. Was able to break out the map and do a coupla resections to locate myself, which led me to the RTM trail, which then took me 3 miles east and back to the car. It was neat to be able to do that and not go into a panic instead.

Word from my unit is that the search will continue into this weekend.

According to the PI a few minutes ago

Missing climber found alive on Mount Adams

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

YAKIMA -- A climber missing on Mount Adams for five days has reportedly been found alive.

Officials tell KAPP-TV of Yakima that 27-year-old Derek Mamoyac, of Philomath, Oregon, appears to have a broken ankle, but further word on his condition is not immediately available.

Officials say they will try to airlift him from about the 6,000-foot level of the mountain.

Search and rescue officials say a dog team found Mamoyac on Friday in the White Salmon Avalanche area of the mountain.

Mamoyac was on a one-day climb of the mountain last Sunday. He was reported missing Monday when he failed to show up for work.

At 12,277 feet, Mount Adams is the second-tallest mountain in Washington.